The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

SHARPLES, George / Jack of Preston, Lancs

steve fuller

Hi Pals.

Was rabbiting on about Gallipoli, this site and the like to a friend of mine, and she asked if Id see if anything is readily available about this guy. Huge long shot with so little info, but thought Id give it a go anyway as theres some pretty genned up Lancs pals around from what Ive seen!! Was the surname fairly popular in Lancs at the time??

He lived in & ran 'The Gatehouse' in Preston, but whether pre or post war, Im not sure (the Railway gatehouse if theres more than one?). Survived the war Im told, had 7 children + 1 from wifes previous marriage. Does the Preston reference suggests a certain Regiment usually?

Id be grateful for any clues whatsoever Pals? Have asked her for more info, but it may not be too 'available' apparently; seems to be another 'forgotten' soldier, so I wandereed if 'we' (the forum) could correct this in some small way?

Steve :D

Steve, Sharples is a local surname (I have one next door but two) and the Loyal North Lancs are the local regiment. In WW1 days, level crossings would have gate houses. Some are still there.Phil B

the Loyal North Lancs are the local regiment.

...but Preston was also the HQ town for several other regiments (East Lancs and South Lancs and a cavalry regiment) along with being the admin. centre for soldiers from all over Lancashire, no matter which regiment they were in.

There did exist the "Preston Pals" (D.Coy, 7th Bn. Loyal North Lancs.), but the fact that he came from Preston is no indication that he was in any of the local units (could have been artillery, engineers, etc. Anything really!).

Is "the Gatehouse" not the name of a pub in Fulwood , Preston that still exists today? (memory a bit hazy here, I'm sure I've seen/been in a pub of this name there - might be imagining pub signs though!!! :blink: )

Dave.

Cheers Dave. Was a long shot at best, but worth asking! She was quite specific about the Railway Gatehouse, and apparently his son took it over after him. Sounds like a family profession or similar. Will double check though. Suppose the first palce to look really is at census's. See if I can pin him down somewhere at sometime and obtain a certificate to give me a start. Ta chaps!

Steve :D

No Gatehouse pub listed in the Preston phone book. Mind you, like most places, we`ve had a rash of Irish pub conversions, so it could be Paddy McGinty`s bar now.

It`s true that Fulwood was an admin centre for several regiments, Croo, but the Preston men killed are listed on the wall just inside the Central Library and they`re largely Loyals, though, of course, most regiments and corps are represented. Phil B