The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gunner in WW1

SilverFox100

Can any fellow member recommend a god book written by a gunner, working the guns, describing his times during the various battles of WW1. I have read a few books about the artillery and from the view point of officers but I would like to read the experiences of an actual gunner. Any recommendations? Are there any available? Thanks. Mike

Gunner on the Western Front by Aubrey Wade published by Batsford in 1959( 1st published as " The War of the Guns" in 1936)and

A Time to Leave the Ploughshares by William Carr published by Robert Hale in 1985 are two well regarded memoirs by gunners.

Gunner on the Western Front by Aubrey Wade published by Batsford in 1959( 1st published as " The War of the Guns" in 1936)andA Time to Leave the Ploughshares by William Carr published by Robert Hale in 1985 are two well regarded memoirs by gunners.

Many thanks I will look for these. Mike

"Field guns in France" by the commander of a 4.5 inch howitzer (RFA) battery is fascinating, he's certainly not a pacifist and very much enjoyed his work! One of the best Great War books I've read

• 4 weeks later...

Another vote for 'Field guns in France' by Neil Fraser-Tytler, it is interesting as it shows the war as a huge amount of fun and delights in the game of killing the hun. I'd compare it to Storm of Steel as a memoir that challenges the orthodoxy of Remarque,Barbusse,Blunden etc and shows that some people actually enjoyed the war...quite a lot.

"We had a gorgeous killing yesterday, MacDonald saw 30 men go into a Barn we had accurately registered. We fired one salvo, one shell went right through the roof and blew out the ten foot high doors from the inside, several men ran outside and many doubtless remained inside. We tried the old trick of waiting fifteen minutes which allows people to gather round the scene of a shelling, actuated by motives of curiosity or desire to help the wounded, after which we opened simultaneously with the 18pdrs and fired fast for two minutes"

From the 1922 edition. P50

Several more come to mind :-

George Goodchild's 'Behind the Barrage' from 1918 & a book with the same title by Francis Winder. Also 'With the Guns' by F.O.O. from 1916 & 'The Gambardier' by Lushington who commanded the battery that the poet Edward Thomas served in. Unfortunately you've just missed an opportunity to buy the latter as there was a copy for sale with Peter Harrington's for £2,250 - pity!

George Goodchild's 'Behind the Barrage' from 1918 & a book with the same title by Francis Winder. Also 'With the Guns' by F.O.O. from 1916 & 'The Gambardier' by Lushington who commanded the battery that the poet Edward Thomas served in. Unfortunately you've just missed an opportunity to buy the latter as there was a copy for sale with Peter Harrington's for £2,250 - pity!

Gosh what a shame I didn't know about that one sooner! I could have dreamed yet again

There are copies of the 'Gambardier' available from www.leonaur.com published in 2007 for a few pounds. The text is from the original and a very good book it is too.

Tony P