The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Master of Belhaven

SilverFox100

I have just completed this book and would, as I had it to me, thoroughly recommend reading this book, especially if you have an interest in the RFA. It has made me feel what a great shame that this man did not manage to survive through to the end of the war, I feel that, for his generation and position, must of been some man. He thought constantly of how he could improve and better the protection of his gunners and guns. He used new technology of the time , time and again and under much personal danger to register his guns and invariably had successful bombardments, and was without doubt one of the most successful Battery Commanders rising to Lt Colonel.

The diary gives a daily story of events of that day and where he was and I was able to follow him around on the map as to where they were fighting, which I found very interesting. I could almost imagine what it must have been like. Again, a great read. Mike

I wouldvery much agree. It's also of particular interest to students of 24th Division,with whom he served at Loss, Ypres, Somme, etc.

Michael.

Likewise, very good book.

David

One of the re read books for me .

Long been aware but have not read it. Out of interest, does he make any references to his North Wales connections?

I am reading this book just now, a great read and gives an insight to how officers who cared for their men and equipment, also my interest is also that Master Belhaven makes frequent references to Wishaw and Craigneuk. In Wishaw Lord belhaven set aside a park in memory of his son. Also a reference in the book state`s that the train journey from Wishaw to London takes about eight hours?? it still takes eight hours 100 years later :huh:

Long been aware but have not read it. Out of interest, does he make any references to his North Wales connections?

I don't remember him referring to this. He primarily writes in his diary about his time during the time in France and Belgium, when he is on home leave he very rarely refers to what he did in England and rarely to his family. Without a doubt though I will be re-Reading this after a few of the other books I have have been completed. This book is the most complete I have read yet of day to day activities (obviously from the point of view of being an officer and at their level) I have read. I would suggest a must read for anyone interested in WW1.

• 4 years later...

We will be in Moreuil next Saturday, the centenary of his death, and intend to make the short journey across to where he is buried at Rouvrel to remember him.

Anyone aware of anything 'official' organised for him?

T