The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Priv Geo. Beever and 2ndLieut Geoff. Chas Harryman

dorrie

I have just aquired a book titled The Diary of an Unprofessional Soldier. The book covers the exploits of TAH Nash whilst with the 4th Gloucesters and moreso whilst with the 16th Manchesters. Unfortunately no mention of George Beever (died 1st July 1916)of Glossop and Geoffrey Charles Harryman of Retford (died 8/8/1916). I have details from CWGC but any other information would be very useful.

Thanking you in anticipation

PS the book mentioned is excellent!!!!

Dorrie

Gidday Dorrie

Cant help you with your questions but my Granddad was in Echo Company of the 16th (he survived). Due to this a relative in England sent me the book you mentioned and I agree with your opinion of it. Would also recommend "Manchester Pals" by Michael Stedman-also sent over to me (I live in Perth Western Australia). Good luck with your query-I am confident there are many GWF Pals who will help you out.

Gary.

According to 'The Manchesters' published in 1916, GC Harryman was first appointed in 25th (Reserve) Battalion Manchester Regiment on 20th September 1915. This was a battalion made up of reserve companies of 16th, 17th and 18th Battalions.

At the time of publication of the book, Harryman had not yet gone to the front. Battalion War Diaries normally record arrivals of new officers, so check that at the National Archives.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Dorrie

The Beever you mention is, presumably Pte Beever. As such, you are unlikely to find any speciific mention of him in the records. You'll find a pretty good account of the 16th's actions on 1 July, in Stedman's Manchester Pals. My particular interest is the 17th and you might be interested to read my article on the Hellfire Corner website, about my grandfather, Tom Brough. It comes very detailed account of the battle from that Bn's perspective

Harryman is not amongst the Roll of Honour of the 16th, 17th, 18th or 19th as listed in the Brigade History, although it mentions him NOT going overseas with the 16th. He died at Rouen on 8 August - presumably in hospital and no doubt from wounds. He was, perhaps, actually serving with 20th, 21st, 22nd or 23rd but I have no info on this to hand. You could try an enquiry to the Regimental Museum to see if they have any info.

John