The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A recovering soldier -WW1-a Photo

Joy Lynch

This is a photo of a relation of mine who had been in Mesopotania from 1914-1918.

There is no indication on it of the place of origin. It is a postcard with no writing on the back.

I understand that these soldiers , accompanied by Nursing personnel, had been in hospital and reaching a recovery stage.

The name of the soldier is

Henry Lynch, Royal Irish Fusiliers, (later Army Ordnance Corps) Regt.Nos, 23725,33668,7041746. I have no certainty these are definitely correct, but it was the only medal card listing Iraq and North Persia, that I could find.

Story goes that Henry weighed seven stone only on return from duty and was labelled ! HANDLE WITH CARE ! Suffering from dysentry,etc.

It is interesting to note the attire of the soldiers, and a mixed ethnic group, I am not sure.! Place of enlistment might have been Dublin or Kildare.

I would love to know where the photo was taken. Rank - Private and Act.Serg. All active service was spent in Mesopotania and I think he was there for the duration of the War more or less.

(First row sitting down, extreme left ).

post-1-1095954485.jpg

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Josephine,

They are all wearing hospital blue uniform.

Be careful in IDing your relative like this - my wife's grandfather was 2nd Royal Irish Fusiliers and then MGC serving with 187 Coy in Mespot - he never received the IGSM with Iraq clasp, just a 14/15 Star trio.

Thank you for sharing this photograph.

Ian :)