The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ypres on Remembrance Sunday.

Moston

For the first time I shall be in Ypres on Remembrance Sunday.

I'm sure there must be a regular ceremony/service etc at 11:00am - but from experience can anybody advise me how to make the best of the occasion in the town?

I've heard there is a procession? - where's the best place to be ? - if the Menin Gate - what's the best time to take up positions?

Any advice would be most welcome...I shall be staying in the town the night before.

Thanks.

It will be packed. We actually stood on the slope to the right of Menin gate (from town). Watched all of the parade etc and listened in to the service.

SteveM

I f you want to watch the ceremony and service at the Menin gate you`ll need to be there really early. However you can watch the procession gather in front of and around St Martin`s in the field , or alternately just go to the Groot Market and watch it all on the big screen also the procession will pass by you at the Groot market on its way to the Menin gate.

Iain

Thanks - not so good for me then :(

On the evening of the 10th there will be the annual ceremony at Passchendaele to remember the Canadian action in taking the village on 10/11/1917, including the torchlit march from Crest Farm to P'daele Church. Well worth attending.

On the evening of the 10th there will be the annual ceremony at Passchendaele to remember the Canadian action in taking the village on 10/11/1917, including the torchlit march from Crest Farm to P'daele Church. Well worth attending.

Thanks for this - will try and find out more.

Having visited Uncle Tommy's grave and the Last Post at Menin Gate many times I was able at last to attend on 11/11 of 2007.

A notable experience in any event which due to complete flukes became one I could bore for hours with!!

On reading your post, Moston, my first thought was extend your stopover. My second is PM, if you do, for a personal experience which may help. Regards, Jules.

P.S. Anyone going 11/11 for first time prepare for a long day. The Service in the morning of course with the usual Last Post evening ceremony augmented to almost encore experience. Not forgetting the formal band concert and festival buzz in/around the streets/bars.

post-40034-0-97143100-1381484433_thumb.j

post-40034-0-05835900-1381485769_thumb.j

post-40034-0-86760800-1381486131_thumb.j

Thanks all, but extending my stay until the 11th is not an option sadly.

I must leave in the late afternoon of 10th to return to Blighty so my options are very limited.

Ho Hum - lesson learnt.

Irrespective of any formal ceremonies it will be quite an experience to be in Ypres on Remembrance Sunday anyway.

Thanks again.

Hi,

I have just come from Ypres. As has been discussed, the Last Post is at the Menin Gate at 8PM every night. The amount of people can vary. This time of year, as it is getting colder, not as many as in summer, but still, if several buses turn up with school groups or tour groups, it could still be packed..

You really need to get there by 7:15pm to secure a good spot, by 7:30 it will be full, by 7:45 - packed.

Regardless of the date, it is a moving and wonderful ceremony.

cheers,

C

Thanks Chipper, I have been fortunate to be at the Menin Gate Last Post Ceremony a few times now and I will certainly be there on the 9th.

I had miscalculated thinking there would be a Remembrance Day ceremony/service in the morning of 10th (Remembrance Day).

Moston.

Don't get caught out elsewhere either. It is only the UK which has the dedicated "Remembrance Sunday"

Belgium and others always has it's major Armistice Day commemoration ceremonies on the 11th, whatever day it falls on and this day is a public holiday. ANZAC nations however tend to have the 25th April as it's major commemorative day.

Come to think of it, there may be other countries which dedicate an alternate date so best check out wherever you are travelling....

The British Church - St George's Memorial Church - may do something on the Sunday morning - their website is currently only showing October services, but the newsletter http://www.stgeorgesmemorialchurchypres.com/newsletter.html does refer in passing to having services both on Remembrance Sunday and Armistice Day.

Considering the full program at school I will have to be reasonable and stay at home and work on Remembrance WE... :(:(

I

The British Church - St George's Memorial Church - may do something on the Sunday morning - their website is currently only showing October services, but the newsletter http://www.stgeorgesmemorialchurchypres.com/newsletter.html does refer in passing to having services both on Remembrance Sunday and Armistice Day.

Thanks David - that thought had crossed my mind and I'll check it out.

• 5 weeks later...

On Armistice Day as an alternative to Ypres I went to Messines. I followed a parade of a local band, some local dignitaries and the West Yorkshire Police Band on a 5km route to some of the key cemeteries and memorials in the area, at each of which a short ceremony and wreath laying took place. I was one of only about a dozen people following the parade, after which the WYPB gave a concert in the local town hall. All in all a fine way to spend part of Armistice Day.

• 3 weeks later...

In July 2012 I took a Coach Party to the Battlefields to Commemorate the 95th Anniversary of the Battle of Pilkiem Ridge where the 6th Btn Cheshire Regiment suffered severe losses.The 6th were recruited at the Stockport Armoury from Stockport (My Home Town),Ashton,Stalybridge and nearby Towns.We held our own Commemorative Service in St Georges Church with the assistance of Reverand Brian.I found him a very obliging person and only too willing to help and advise.Should anyone think of doing something similar then don't hesitate,you won't regert it.