The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Major Charles Merrywether

dorrie

I have a question mark reagrding 16th Fusiliers in the Battle for the Ancre. Can anybody confirm their involvement and anybody has any information reagrding Charles Merryweather died 23 /11/1918, name on Thiepval Memorial.

thanks

Dorrie

Not according to Barry Cuttell, 148 Days on the Somme. They were involved in fighting around Thiepval Ridge, Schwaben etc but not on the Ancre.

Martin

Dorrie

Check out forum member John Hartleys website, as he has researched this soldier and placed his write up on his website

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Dorrie

Click on the link in my signature below. You'll find Merryweather on the Cheadle Hulme War Mmeorial. Can I ask what's your interest in him? By the way, he was kIA in 1916, not 1918 ( was this a typo?)

By the way, Chris knew of my website as he took a photo for me of the Retford War Memorial which also has Merryweather on it.

John

Thanks for information John. Yes it was a typing error. My interest in Charles Merryweather is that I am carrying out some research with regards to pupils who attended King Edward School and who died in the Great war

Dorrie