The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"A Singular Day on the Somme" - Liverpool Pals 1 July 1916

daggers

The full title will not fit in the heading:

"A Singular Day on the Somme" - The Casualties of the Liverpool Pals, 1 July 1916".

This new book is written by Joe Devereux, well-known to GWF members as a leading authority on the soldiers of the King's Liverpool Regiment. It has about 200 pages, A4 format, soft back with many illustrations. Publication details follow this review.

The author's introduction tells us that the book is intended to remember those of the four Liverpool Pals Battalions (17th, 18th, 19th & 20th, KLR) who died or were fatally wounded on the First Day of the Battle of the Somme, and that proceeds will be for the benefit of the Liverpool Pals Memorial Fund [see later for details].

Mr Devereux outlines the events leading to the recruiting of the four battalions in the first weeks of the war and their training, and sets out their order of battle within 30 Division on 1 July 1916. He quotes from the four War Diaries and from Wyrall's history of the KIng's Regiment's war. He also urges readers to refer to "Liverpool Pals" by the late Graham Maddocks (Pen & Sword).

The main content of the book is an alphabetical listing of the 257 officers and other ranks of the Pals who lost their lives on the fateful day, followed by a smaller section on those believed to have died later from wounds inflicted on 1 July. Most entries include a photograph, data from enlistment forms (where traced), employment, census returns, newspaper reports and family links. The place of burial or commemoration is included - 150 of the 257 have no known grave but are named on the great Memorial to the Missing of the Somme at Thiepval.

The author has been researching the men of the King's Liverpool Regiment since long before we had access to so much online. His database of over 80,000 names is now available at the Museum of Liverpool and should be regarded as a major work.

This book will provide much for those interested in the King's Liverpool Regiment, Pals Battalions, the Somme, local, family and social history.

Publisher: Promenade Publications, Cheltenham, England.

Distribution: via Mr Bill Sergeant, 8 Tanat Drive, Liverpool L18 6HL. Cost £ 12 plus £6.50 p&p (in UK). Email: billtanat8 AT hotmail DOT co DOT uk

Cheques payable to the Liverpool Pals Memorial Fund, which plans to erect a memorial, in Liverpool, to the Liverpool Pals. An illustration of part of the memorial's design is included in the book.

Daggers

Anyone who has seen extracts from Joe's database will know that the research of the individual men is comprehensive.

"Comprehensive"? I do Joe an injustice using such a word. "Comprehensive" doesnt get close to how thorough his research is.

"A Singular Day on the Somme" - The Casualties of the Liverpool Pals, 1 July 1916".

Dags, I'm definitely in for one; it sounds excellent. I have still got a cheque book somewhere but I was wondering if there are likely to be any events in the near future in the Merseyside area where I might be able to pick one up in person (and pay for it of course)? No problem if not.

Pete.

Pete

If you email BillSergeant at the address given in post#1, you could perhaps arrange to collect a copy for cash. He is not far off the 61, 68, 80 and 86 bus routes, close to Allerton Library and police and fire stations.

D

Thanks Dags, I'll try and sort something out when I'm in the area, Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone with an interest in the Great War this is a 'must have.' Limited to 1,000 editions (all books are numbered) this superb publication covers all the Liverpool Pals who fell on the 1st July,1916 or die dof wounds received on this date. All proceeds go to the Liverpool Pals Memorial Fund (raising money to install a permanent memorial in Lime Street triain station,Liverpool). The book is lavishly illustrated with photo's and additional information on the men. The book also reveals that the youngest to fall were a mere 17 years of age and the oldest 40.Another superb publication from Joe, who as usual has given his time for a worthy project. Costing £12 a very welcome addition to anyone who studies the Great War.

Regards,

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my copy through the post. I looks great and is packed with beautiful photos. I can't wait to get stuck into it.

Brilliant!

Many thanks Joe

Simon

I am wanting to buy a copy of A Singular Day on the Somme, but cannot find it for sale anywhere. Emails to the address provided on the GWF are bounced back, and a letter to the address does not solicit any reply at all. Can anyone suggest another point of sale that might be more easily accessed than this rather cack-handed arrangement?
Have money, willing to buy ... but frustrated.
Andy

Andy,

The e-mail address in post #1 should have started with :

billtanat8@

I am not repeating it in full here because it is recommended not to give out e-mail addresses, I believe it can result in getting a lot of spam.

Persevere, Bill will hopefully sort you out.

The original post here : http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=199251 gives the correct e-mail address though.

BillyH.

I've edited the first post to give the correct email address

• 1 month later...

Well, Santa sent me a copy of this fantastic publication, and I was more surprised to find my name in the acknowledgements than anything else :)

Now that the grandchildren have gone to play with their toys, I;m settling down for a good read.........