The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Size of Standing Armies

Greenwoodman

I'm looking for a comparison of the size of standing armies + available reserves in August 1914, plus the increase in the size of those armies after war was declared for Britain, France, Germany and Austro-Hungary. Can anyone help with those including the full reference for their source, please? Frantically looking through my many books, but no luck so far! ;)

Like as not, many Pals can furnish that info, but here is a start...

Soldiers available on Mobilization:*

GB. 711,000 (including empire)

France 3,500,000

Russia 4,423.000

Germany 8,500,000

Aus/Hung 3,000,000

Turkey 360,000

*"History of the First World War" Ed in Chief: AJP Taylor, 1974, Octopus Books

DrB

;)

There are some figures here.

Have you tried the following book? I think it is part of the official histories.

Statistics of the Military Effort of the British Empire during the Great War. 1914-1920, War Office, London, pp 880, 1922

I have just found the following while looking for sources.

The World War I Databook: The facts and figures on all the combatants, John Ellis and Mike Cox, Aurum Press, 2001, 1854107666

It is new to me and sounds promising. Can any Pal offer an opinion on this book?

For Greenwoodman...pg 33 in the Taylor book (illustrated one)

DrB

:)

Clive, many thanks for the link. Also the books - haven't been able to access Military Stats, and the Databook had slipped my mind.

DrB Thanks again for that. My edition of AJP Taylor doesn't appear to have those figures.

Greenwoodman,

Did you find the figures you want? If not, I can put up the numbers from The World War I Databook that I have just aquired in absolutely mint condition from Abebooks.

Source:

The World War I Databook: The essential facts and figures for all the combatants, John Ellis and Michael Cox, Aurum Press, London, 1993, 1-85410-766-6

The book is a knockout. I will write a review in a few days.

post-2-1096766434.gif