The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2/Lt. William Edward Allen

Archer

Dear people of the Great War Forum

I have asked two biographical queries in vain - I would like to tempt you with a third.

Sergeant William Edward Allen, 20th Hussars, was commissioned Second Lieutenant on 28 December 1917 and was posted to the South Staffordshire Regiment on 4 January 1918. Between 22 March – 30 July 1918 he served as acting Captain, South Staffordshire Regiment (Territorial Force). He was appointed to the Indian Army, on probation, on 3 November 1918.

Can someone PLEEZE tell me what battalion of the South Staffords he served with?

Thank you

William

william, the war diary of 2/6 south staffs says on 27/7/18 captain w.e. allen to be attached to the india office.

enoch

Ah ...

Thank you, Enoch. I am very grateful indeed!

I take it you didn't find a reference to him joining the Battalion?

William :D

william, i've got a index of names mentioned in the south staffs war diaries, the one i posted was the only mention of captain allen

i hope i have been of help

enoch

You have indeed ... many thanks again!

Allen ended up with the 2/119th Infantry, Indian Army, and was out of a job at the end of 1923, after thirteen years in uniform. From Private to Captain - and then what? Casualty of Empire and War?

William

I have a research interest in this man too. Does anyone have a photo of him by any chance???? What's your interest William?