The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Highland Light Infantry Companies

tyrese

My Great-Uncle was WILLIAM ALPINE FRASER, a Private, Regimental number, 3104, 9th (Glasgow Highlanders) Battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

He was killed on 15th July 1916 during the attack on High Wood.

Is it possible to find out which Company he was in, within his battalion when he was killed?

Thank you,

Jayden

In the book "Come On Highlanders! - Glasgow Territorials in the Great War" by Alec Weir, Appendix 2 lists all the names who are believed to have been in the Glasgow Highlanders between 1914 - 1918 - about 4,500.

"FRASER, Pte. William Alpine, 3104, 1915-16 K" (K = Killed) is listed in the appendix.

There are several pages describing the battalion's activities at High Wood and the days surrounding 15 July 1916, and even though many individual names are mentioned, I don't see any specific mention of your relative.

I have a copy of the 9th Bn War Diary (from the National Archives), but it only extends to 30 April, 1916.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

The HLI Chronicles are available at the Royal Highland Fusiliers Museum in Glasgow.

You can also find a copy of the 9th Bn War Diary text only in the Index of Books http://www.rhf.org.uk/Books/

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

I've searched the Evening Times 'Roll of Honour' (from The Mitchell Library, Glasgow) but he is not included.

Mike and Tom,

Thank you for all your replies. The only letter we have is the one that was sent with his medals to his parents and that doesn't give any indication of which Company he served in.

That book link is amazing. I have downloaded the War diary and will peruse it slowly.We are going to the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow in July 2014 and will try and visit the Royal Highland Fusiliers museum when we are there to see if I can find anything more. And thank you for looking for his name in the roll of honour. I wonder why his name wasn't there.

Thank you again,

Jayden

Mike and Tom,

Thank you for all your replies. The only letter we have is the one that was sent with his medals to his parents and that doesn't give any indication of which Company he served in.

That book link is amazing. I have downloaded the War diary and will peruse it slowly.We are going to the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow in July 2014 and will try and visit the Royal Highland Fusiliers museum when we are there to see if I can find anything more. And thank you for looking for his name in the roll of honour. I wonder why his name wasn't there.

Thank you again,

Jayden

The HLI Chronicles have lists of the Killed, Missing and Wounded but your relative is not listed in these either.

It seems strange that he is not there.

His entry on the CWGC shows he was from Springburn, Glasgow.

His entry on the SNWM also has no detail of his Company.

His MIC shows he entered France on 21st June 1915.

Nowhere can I see any indication of his Company.

I searched the ancestry (spit) website but can't find any service record for him.

You are probably aware of all of the above, and I'm sorry I can't point you in another direction.

Kindest Regards,

Tom Lang.

The 9th HLI Diary is available Click for £3.36 I think? Like Tom, I can't see a mention of his name or company in any of the usual places. I never checked de Ruvigny's.

I suppose it's possible there is a list of men and their Coys, but doubtful?

Mike

Jayden,

The City of Glasgow Roll of Honour lists a William A Fraser, Private HLI, address 147 Edgefauld Road, Springburn.

I think newspapers from the Springburn area would be worth investigating.

Michael

Jayden

The Evening Times "Roll of Honour" for 1916 is in the process of being updated so it is possible that your great uncle's name will be recorded sometime in the near future.

Douglas

<snip>

I have a copy of the 9th Bn War Diary (from the National Archives), but it only extends to 30 April, 1916.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

The 9th HLI Diary is available Click for £3.36 I think? Like Tom, I can't see a mention of his name or company in any of the usual places. I never checked de Ruvigny's.

I suppose it's possible there is a list of men and their Coys, but doubtful?

Mike

Mike,

I downloaded the War Diary from the TNA many moons ago but it only extends to 30 April, 1916 (WO 95/1347).

Do you think that your link is to another that goes beyond that date?

I don't want to pay another fee for the same file.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

I've just checked your link and this is a different file - May 1916 to May 1919 with 33 Div, 100 Inf Bde.

The earlier file I have is with 2 Div 5th Bde from Sep 1915 to Apr 1916.

The missing piece of the puzzle.

Thanks.

Just got my new download, and the remainder of the 9th Bn HLI War Diary.

Tom.

Mike,

I downloaded the War Diary from the TNA many moons ago but it only extends to 30 April, 1916 (WO 95/1347).

Do you think that your link is to another that goes beyond that date?

Tom.

Tom I do not know. It does say - Quote " 9 Battalion Highland Light Infantry 1916 May - 1919 "?

Mike

Edit 17:14 I missed your posts, and it does cover the dates shown May 1916-1919

Cheers Mike

Yes Mike,

I discovered that the 9th HLI were transferred from the 2nd Division 5th Brigade, to 33rd Division 100 Brigade on 29th May, 1916.

So now I have both parts of their Diary and can continue my transcription.

Tom.

I am trying to trace any information on my grandfathers' brother Private John R Stappard reg no 333248 he was in the 9th Battalion HLI . He was killed in action on 26 September 1917, and his name is on the memorial at Tyne Cot Cemetery.

He was born and lived in Newcastle upon Tyne so I do not know how he became to be in a Scottish Regiment.

Can anyone help with any information?

Thank you.

Hello macdee13,

Have you searched any of the above documents I mentioned?

The War Diary mentions an enemy raid on that day, but no casualties are reported.

It was not unusual for men to serve in other Regiments, due to moving men from regiments that had been reduced in strength due to Killed, Wounded or Missing.

Tom.

Hello Tom

Yes I have looked at the war diaries, and I see that on the date we were given as the day he died , no losses were reported , however the day before 'several men were lost'. The day after , referred to as a 'quiet day', 450 losses were reported. Makes me wonder if the date given was not accurate, I don't know if there is any way we can find out exactly.

I have tried the National Archives for his war record to find out where and when he enlisted but no luck, the only information we do have is from the Commonwealth War Graves site , and also a photograph taken in his uniform ( in a kilt)

Will try to see if I can find a copy of the book you mentioned as it may have his name mentioned.

Thanks

<snip>

Will try to see if I can find a copy of the book you mentioned as it may have his name mentioned.

<snip>

Appendix 2 in the book "Come On Highlanders! - Glasgow Territorials in the Great War" by Alec Weir, lists all the names who are believed to have been in the Glasgow Highlanders between 1914-1918 - about 4,500 names.

"STAPPARD, Pte John Robert 333248 1917 K" is listed in Appendix 2 on page 392.

He is not mentioned elsewhere in the book.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Thanks Tom for letting me know that he is mentioned in the appendix , I have already ordered a copy of the book so it is nice to know his name is in there!

Although I am new at researching Military History , I have contacted the National archives, Ancestry and other websites to find any records but no luck, they must be one of the many that no longer exist.

I have looked on the Paul Nixon site as suggested by Mike but it does not seem to mention the 9th battalion and I can not see any link to contact him.

I really would like to know when John enlisted and whether he was sent immediately to the HLI or did he spend any time in a local regiment, which probably would have been the Northumberland Fusiliers. As I mentioned in a previous post I have downloaded the war diary, but it would be nice to know how long John was there before he was killed.

As some of my husbands family live in Glasgow, I am considering coming up from Newcastle to visit the HLI museum , although I will first check out their website to see what information they have that may be useful.

Dear Tom,

Thank you for looking on the HLI lists for my Great-Uncle. I am surprised that he isn't on there. He did indeed come from Springburn, Glasgow. His body was never found and that is why he is commemorated on the Thiepval memorial. I have looked on Ancestry too and been to the TNA at Kew. What does SNWM mean please?

Dear Skipman,

Thank you also for looking for Alpine's details for me.

Dear mrbmcl,

The family did live at 147, Edgefauld Road, Springburn and I will try the Mitchell library, when we come up, for any Springburn papers.

Dear Theletterwriter,

Thank you for the information regarding the Evening Times Roll of Honour update. I will try that too when I come in 2014 as it might have been done by then.

Thank you all for taking the trouble to reply.

Best wishes from Jayden

Dear Tom,

<snip>

What does SNWM mean please?

<snip>

The Scottish National War Memorial in Edinburgh Castle contains the list of names of all Scots who fell while serving.

http://www.snwm.org/