The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Highland Light Infantry Companies

tyrese

Hi Jayden

Pte WA Fraser is listed in Alex Aikens book Courage Past as a casualty of the Assault on High Wood on 15th July 1916 - No mention of him in the book apart from casualty list

Raymond Bell

• 2 years later...

Hi - been a long time away - sorry didn't realise time fly's so fast - Last year I was over for the 15th July at High Wood with members of the Glasgow Highlanders Army Cadet from Glasgow - a few years prior to this I had been in contact with one of Alpine (as he was known to the family) relatives and had been helping in finding details on him - William Alpine Fraser - the Alpine was given to him by his mother after the name of the doctor who delivered him during a difficult birth - He is remembered on panel 15C at Thiepval Memorial - During our tour the cadets were tasked to nominate "their Soldier" with the view I would do some research on these soldiers and produce a folder with details - The cadet would then have some knowledge on him and they would visit his grave - lay a wreath or cross and possibly leave a little message for "their Soldier" William Alpine Fraser was one of these names nominated - Quite touching to see them standing over the soldiers grave or at his memorial and just listening to them speak to him - As I said we went to the Cairn at High Wood with our Padre to hold a service and there were a couple of civilian families near the cairn - on speaking to them - one of the families were relatives of Pte W Alpine Fraser and I had the great pleasure of meeting my "over the internet friends" in person - I introduced them to the young Female cadet who had chosen "their Soldier" as hers and she then told the family all the information that we had gathered on him - I had sent most of the information to the family earlier in the year - but the family did not declare this as they listened to the cadet tell Alpine's story - The family also said they had just came back from Thiepval and had seen the cross and photo the young cadet had left the day before on our visit and they thanked the girl for being there for their relative. A great meeting and a young girl left there super proud that she had picked Alpine and more so had actually the family of her Soldier

Edited by Raymond Bell

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, my grandfather Pte Thomas S Robinson, No.10696 served with the Highland Light Infantry and was discharged on 23 July 1915. I am trying to find any information on his service. Thanks 

IMG_0214.JPG