The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British Scientists in Canadian Corps

Terry

The book "Vimy" devotes considerable space to the efforts of the Canadian Andy McNaughton, the McGill man who did great work as a counter battery officer (and later commanded the Canadian army in World War Two).

The author also discusses how McNaughton was able to assemble a talented staff of brilliant scientifically-trained officers to work with him. Mention is made of Harold Hemming, a Canadian fellow McGill grad serving in the RFA; and three scientists in the British army - the Australian-born Lawrence Bragg (already a Nobel Prize winner and only 27 years old; Charles Galton Darwin (grandson of the author of On The Origin of Species); and Lucien Bull. The impression the reader is left with is that these fellows were considered to be radical crackpots in the BEF, and they jumped at the chance to service in the Canadian Corps, where McNaughton treated their ideas with respect and gained because of it.

I wonder how much of this is Berton's admittedly very pro-Canadian slant in his writing, or if there was a grain of truth to it. Any thoughts?

Pro-Canadian slant? From Berton! ;)

I'd submit that there is probably more than a grain of truth to it. The Canadians didn't have all those years of military heritage to break down, so they could be quite innovative. Witness another of Berton's favourites, Currie and how he upset the heirarchy with his newfangled ideas.

just my $0.02

marc