The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembering Tommy

GRANVILLE

I can't see that anyone has as yet made mention of this brand new book, so I count it as my good fortune to be the first to be able to do so.

I've been aware of the books preparation for some time, but only took possession of a copy just this morning.

It's full title is: 'Remembering Tommy. The British Soldier in The First World War' by Peter Doyle and Chris Foster.

Bearing in mind I've only had the book for little more than four hours and as yet I've not read a word of it, any sort of review might seem pointless, however I'm already very familiar with Peters other works, most notably for me: 'Tommys War, British Militaria 1914 - 1918' so I know the work is going to be well put together, very readable and informative. However, I want to enthuse about this latest work because from the moment you cast eyes on the cover, you will know you are in for a visual, as well as informative treat. I believe Chris Foster has done most, if not all of the photography, and what a job has been done! The book is a perfect size for reading and handling, and I can't wait to delve further into it. Highly recommended by me and sure to make it into numerous Christmas stockings! Well done Peter & Chris.

David Upton

David,

Are the photographs/pictures different from Tommy's War? I don't want to spend money on recycled photos from the excellent Tommy's War. No slight at all on the Authors I just want an independent opinion.

thanks

Mark

Mark. Totally different set of photos. Many cover the kit & equipment that was carried, but many others strive to set a period tone to the telling of the story of how men from all over the country either volunteered or were conscripted and what they underwent as a result. It's not a new story by any means, but exceptionally presented with a mix of period photographs and the created scenes of Peter & Chris. Interestingly, they have steered away from having anyone in virtually all of their photos, preferring to allow the objects concerned tell their own story when put into an authentic setting. I'm currently about 3/4 of the way thorough the book and take no issues with any of it so far.

David

David, many thanks heading to amazon now! regards Mark

• 5 weeks later...

A word of warning, parts of the text of this book are virtually word for word the same as that in the Haynes Mannual to the Great War Tommy (also excellent). Luckily I happedned to look at it in Waterstones before ordering off Amazon and decided not to bother, despite the excellent photos...

Waiting for the review... not that I'll get it soon ... I'm staying with my promise !! No new books untill I finished the rest on the pile!

M.

Waiting for the review... not that I'll get it soon ... I'm staying with my promise !! No new books untill I finished the rest on the pile!

M.

I'm impressed! I gave in I'm afraid. Mike

• 1 month later...

A really great book - worth it just for the amazing pictures. Highly recommended.

• 1 year later...