The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

SDGW

byott

Hello.

Could some one please look up a

William John Byott

Lance Corporal

East lancashire Reg 6bn age 22 Died 20 8 1915 Buried Alexandria Chatby,

Would like to know his place of Enlisment please.

Thanks so much Sandra

Sandra,

Don't limit yourself to Southwark.... it is possible that he may be on one in Kennington, as this was where he was living, even though he enlisted elsewhere.

Good luck,

Les.

I've come across a soldier on two memorials 6 miles apart with two different surnames. ;)

Roger.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Sandra,

Born - Kennington, Surrey

Enlisted - Southwark, Surrey

Residence - Kennington.

Les.

Hi les.

Thank you so very much for your help. Now maybe i can look around some memorial sites around southwark.

Thanks heaps. :rolleyes: Sandra

My old manor - try Southwark Cathedral.

Also there is a memorial about 25yards off Borough Market, just down from London Bridge tube - you can't miss it!!

Roger,

Don't scare her... she'll never come back :lol:

Les

Where have i heard that before :D

Born - Kennington, Surrey

Enlisted - Southwark, Surrey

Residence - Kennington.

My old manor - try Southwark Cathedral.

Also there is a memorial about 25yards off Borough Market, just down from London Bridge tube - you can't miss it!!

Hi Ian.

How would i go about researching that im in Australia. Is there a web page or an address i could write to ?

Thanks sandra

Don't limit yourself to Southwark.... it is possible that he may be on one in Kennington, as this was where he was living, even though he enlisted elsewhere.

Kennington is where he is most likely to be listed, especially seeing as he was born there and lived there. Not likely to be on a Southwark memorial as he only enlisted there (possibly his only connection with the place).

It might be worth seeing if anything exists in Tidmouth also, as it was here, at Lucknow Barracks, that the 6th Bn was formed.

Dave.

It might be worth seeing if anything exists in Tidmouth also, as it was here, at Lucknow Barracks, that the 6th Bn was formed

Hi Dave.

Thanks for your info. Is there an address or web page i can find out ? I dont know the areas. It will be hard looking from this side of the world.

I soppose its really like looking for a needle in a hay stack isnt it. As they were not done in any order was they. Are they that hard to research

Thank you Sandra

It might be worth seeing if anything exists in Tidmouth also, as it was here, at Lucknow Barracks, that the 6th Bn was formed

Hi Dave.

Thanks for your info. Is there an address or web page i can find out ? I dont know the areas. It will be hard looking from this side of the world.

All I can suggest is do an internet search. I don't know the areas either, and ,believe me, that area's a different country to me too!!! :lol: (It's a long way from Lancashire, anyway!).

Dave.

(PS. Does anyone know if Lucknow Barracks is still in existance?)

Allo Gal!

How you doing? (Ill do that mail today all being well, as Im sat at my desk for a change ...)

1. Tried Roll of Honour? On the web (to a degree) and may have a listing of him? (roll-of-honour.com I think)

2. May also be worth internet searching (a simple Google search has worked for me a few times) for the Regiment he was in? You may come across other people with web pages about their relatives that served in the 6th Lancs? Dont expect it but there may be personal letters on the action he was in, and the tiniest widdly chance of a mention of him if one of his friends wrote a letter home that mentions him?

3. Local council sites occasionally have photo library sections with local men who fell or served, so try the Southwark/Lancs county council web sites (if thats what theyre called?)

Cheers Sandra

Steve :D