The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Meaning of TPE

Guest deepathart

Guest deepathart

Hello the forum,

Can some one please tell me what this means.

My Grandpop on Dads side was in the Aust Flying Corp and when he was discharged it states on his papers " discharged 3M.D (T.P.E).

I know the 3MD means 3rd Military District (Victoria- Aust) but what does the T.P.E. mean. (It is definately TPE not TPI)

Kind regards

Dee Hart

Pure guess - 'Term of something expired?'

Trying to come up with a logical 'P' word ... posting?

Des

To potential employer?

To permanant employment?

I'm thinking his discharge may have been hurried along if he was needed somewhere else due to his skills?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest deepathart

Thanks guys,

I had also thought it was it was the employment one,as it was also on my Grandfather's (Dads side) papers - he did have employment to go to and remained there until he retired.

But the Great Uncle didn't have any employment to go to.

Looks like it could be the other one unless someone comes up with another one.

Regards

Dee

G'day Dee

The AWM website has an e-mail address on which you can contact staff. Throw in your earlier CB querry, but don't get unhappy if it comes back as Confined to Barracks which apparently got a bit of usage back then. ;) You might include reference to the particular file you are searching, as it may put the abbreviation in a particular context.

ooRoo

Pat

PS

Couldn't resist your challenge to "come up with another one"

How about "Ta Pat, Eternally" or "to pat ENOUGHH!"

Edited by bonza

Guest deepathart

Hi all,

I found out that CB was Cavalary Brigade from Chris. GUncle was in the 8thLH and later was changd to CB Field Ambulance.

Found out this morning from AWM site that TPE was Termination of Period of Enlistment.

Thanks all for your help

TTFN

Dee.

Bonza - weren't me that said it - diduaveagoodweegend. :blink:

Yes Thanks Mr Walker!

It's obvious that you are more trusting than some. Whilst not in any way suggesting that people would treat you like a mushroom accountant, less easily satisfied persons might endeavour to ascertain WHICH Cavalry Brigade.

It's OK. THE CB has dealt with similar situations before. ;) HE realises that this comment is neither disrespectful nor frivolous.

ooRoo

Pat

Yes Thanks Mr Walker!

It's obvious that you are more trusting than some. Whilst not in any way suggesting that people would treat you like a mushroom accountant, less easily satisfied persons might endeavour to ascertain WHICH Cavalry Brigade.

It's OK. THE CB has dealt with similar situations before. ;) HE realises that this comment is neither disrespectful nor frivolous.

ooRoo

Pat

That would be because there was only one unit known as the Cavalry Brigade Field Ambulance....it served with the Anzac Mounted Division. The other two field ambulances were Light Horse Field Ambulances. You want some bacon with those eggs Bonza? :)

TD

Nah!

I'll settle for eating crow.

But's let not forget that Dee now has the Compleat Answer :unsure: & I have learnt a thing or two too.

Thanx

ooRoo

Pat

Totally & Permanently Embarrassed

Nah!

I'll settle for eating crow.

But's let not forget that Dee now has the Compleat Answer :unsure: & I have learnt a thing or two too.

Thanx

ooRoo

Pat

Totally & Permanently Embarrassed

Mate...must confess that only reason I know is because Dee told me the same thing on e-mail. I thought it sounded a bit strange so I looked at his service papers and then at the Long Long Trail. B)

Mr Baker is never wrong!

TD

Didn't take you long to get even for the 'Memory Loss' jibe, which I might mention was deleted days ago!

So "Time wounds all heels", wot else is new.

Must admit more bits have fallen into place over the past few months than over years of more serious inquiry.

But if its not on the AWM site, its not true. I'm sure even "Snowy" would appreciate a 'second opinion'. ;)

Interesting to note the little alliance you've set up, North & West vs the South

ooRoo

Pat

C'mon mate we're all on the same team here. Just trying to help the sandgroper out that's all. Snowy?.......must admit Flanagan and Bluey were always my greatest heros....sure they must have headed down Bendigo way from Rathdowney, Boonah or somewhere.

:D

TD

probly!

Breaker Morant, Ion L Idriess & Bill Harney certainly picked up a few pointers "up there".

When I'm PM every Australian school will be issued with the 'Breaker' DVD, the "Desert Column' book, and the "Harney's War" audio tape.

Not being too picky but substitute Ballarat for Bendigo in your last.

ooRoo

at

Sez Roley!

Hey Blue, Doesn't this place remind you of the pub between Quilpie & Blackall where the boss's wife ran the swy school. What a sheilagh! She did a mean Curry & knew everything about the Light Horse!

post-2-1097588510.jpg

Ballarat/Bendigo...always getting them mixed up. Great photo Pat!

TD

Guest deepathart

Pat,

I have to inform you that originally I was also a "mudwalloper" saw the light and moved this side of the rabbit proof fence. Think I might have brought the weather also :D

Regards

Dee

Dee

Had anyone but your goodself said that, I might have questioned the RPF's efficacy as a barrier against pests. In your case its more likely bemoaning "The one that got away"

ooRoo

Pat

Dee

Had anyone but your goodself said that, I might have questioned the RPF's efficacy as a barrier against pests. In your case its more likely bemoaning "The one that got away"

ooRoo

Pat

We do let the good ones in :D

Ballarat/Bendigo...always getting them mixed up. Great photo

TD

Agreed! Reckon some-one should do a poster size version. We could hang it on the wall and when some-one or some-thing gets up our noses,- Reality Check.

Dee & Andrew

We don't mind people deserting to the other side. But please make sure they leave all our mud back here, 'cause we need it!

ooRoo

Pat

My Dad's family were from Bendigo before they came to WA back in the 1890's,

Andrew

Yairs

Now I remember their story in "Power without Glory".

Dee

Keep right on slinging it back, even the pigs back here are UNhappy.

TD

See! There is a difference betwee Ballarat & Bendigo

ooRoo

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys...no Mexican in this family.....a little bit of far Northern NSW but the rest has a distinctly Queensland flavour......apart from the British/Scottish/Welsh/Danish/Prussian anyway!

Tim

Hi Tim

A relative on my mums side was also from northern NSW but saw the light & decided to enlist in Qld and served through the war in the 2nd Light Horse Regiment.

Cheers

Andrew