The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Death Plaque

museumtom

Doing a Saturday tidy-up I came across in the bottom of a drawer. It is the envelope for a death plaque that is up in the attic to a John Ferguson. Are these envelopes rare or common?

regards.

Tom Burnell

post-1-1096113950.jpg

Worth keeping the number 51224 is the plaque issue number. the label is made up from the last 2 columns of Army Form that was submitted in quintripulate to record offices. This number or the last part of it is usually pencelled on the inner Placue envelope.

Early issue plaque from the acton Factory later plaques have the Acton address barred out and the Woolwich return address instead.

Lots of bits and bobs lying around here Ian, I just have to clean up my act. My pride of place is a pair of medals to a Padre and a ww1 trio to a guy from navan (Co meath) with a huge picture of him, his death plaque, the card holder, signed receipt for the plaque, plus an article from a local newspaper by his parents asking the guys coming back from the Battlefields did they know what happened to him. He has no grave. Sad to see that this is all that is left oh a brave man.

regards.

Tom

Tom,

:o Highly desirable I would suggest