The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Military Funeral, Bournemouth, Oct 1914

Ski

Pals,

I am currently doing some research into 9120 Pte William Frederick Stevens, C Coy, 1st Wilts, from Swindon, Wilts.

Pte Stevens was wounded by shrapnel at Mons and was later evacuated home to be treated at Boscombe Military Hospital. However he later sucumbed to his wounds and died age 23 on 21/10/14.

My request is in reference to his funeral which took place on Saturday 24th October 1914 at Bournemouth East Cemetery.

The local (Swindon) newspaper records that it was quite a large affair with official dignatories, gun carrige with six horses, firing party and bugler, along with a large cortege of wounded soldiers and "G" and "H" Coy's and band of the 7th Hants(TF).

For such a large affair i would have thought that at least one photo of this event would have been taken, either by the local "Bournemouth Echo" or local photographer of some kind.

And was just wondering if anyone has a photo/record of the event or a photo of the cemetery or Hospital from the time.

Cheers,

Ski

Hello Ski

Have you tried the online Bournemouth Echo?

If that's no help, perhaps Jan Marsh at Bournemouth Reference Library, Jan.Marsh@BournemouthLibraries.org.uk can point you in the right direction? I'm afraid her address is from 2001!

There is a bit about Boscombe Military Hospital on page 1 of the "Hospitals in the United Kingdom, Can we build up a list?" (under Home and POWs), but no photo.

Good luck!

Viv :)

Hi Viv,

Thanks for your reply.

I must admit that the first thing i did was to do a search on the Forum, and i picked up that bit in "Hospitals in the United Kingdom, Can we build up a list".

Also, I did try the online Echo but with no luck i'm afraid :( . I think you're right and i'll have to give the Ref Library a try!

Thanks for the ideas,

Ski