The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lincs Regt Soldier

Guest Guard 1

I have just got a MIC for 7402 PTE.W.T.Phillips. Linc regt.

William Thomas Phillips of the 1st btn Lincs regt has a disembarkation date of 13/08/1914 and entitled to a 1914 star and bar trio. He was discharged on the 29/05/1916 and was also awarded a silver war badge.

With this date would he have been on of the first lincs regt soldiers to serve in France? And with his date of discharge would this have been due to sickness as I don't think the 1st btn were in action around this date.

Many thanks

Rowland.

Rowland - James` book shows the 1 Lincolns to have landed at Le Havre on 14/8/14. Assuming they sailed in the dark, they would have embarked on the 13th. I would have thought he was with the rest of the battalion, except for a handful of men (I think the Pioneer platoon often got the job) who may have gone before as an advanced party. Phil B

PS They were, however, the first Lincolns Bn in F&F.

Rowland,

The Museum of Lincolnshire Life has a memorial book to the 1st Battalion commemorating this event giving the exact date that each man embarked for France. I've seen the book and am pretty sure that they went over in two batches,one day apart, so i think Phillips would have been in the first 'batch'.

I'm hoping to go there next month, if you wish i could request the book and photocopy it for you. I also have a copy of the Lincs Bn OCA publication from 1913, each man from the first and 2nd Bn's is listed with his contribution next to his name.

Drop me a line if you would be intereted.

Regards,

Steve.