The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Locating fallen family

PhilipOsier

Hi Philip.

2nd Lieutenant Sheriden of the 2nd Battalion H.L.I. were part of 5th Brigade and on the 24th March took up positions just to East of Villers au Flos in what was known as the Red Line the positions were as follows facing East 2nd Battalion H.L.I.on their right was the 24th Battalion Royal Fusiliers, then the 2nd Ox& Buck Light Infantry all very much depleted. My Great Uncle was killed on the same day he belonged to the 24th Royal Fusiliers. Another man from the 2nd H.L.I killed on the same day was a man called Thomas Houston, he won the MM twice. I am in the process of submitting a some research to the C.W.W.G in the hope of identifying him. I am sure he is buried in Bancourt British Cemetery as an unknown.I am sure I have him. If you need a copy of the trench map for that area pm me and I will send you a copy.

keep in touch

Regards Andy

Wow that is quite interesting, thanks Andy. Sounds like you really know your research. My gr.gr uncle was also decorated on that day with the Military cross i believe. To add to his DCM as a CSM received for gallentry in 1916, as previously posted.