The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

long book

kenneth505

• 1 month later...

In addition to the IWM photo book 'The Great War' I also bought Joe Sacco's book too. I'd never heard of him but was massively impressed by the illustration, outstanding at 24 feet long and a little bit like a WWI version of "Where's Wally"; every inch is packed with something to look at. Along with the actual hardback book comes a softback accompaniment titled "On The Great War" which contains an authors note, an essay by Adam Hochschild on the actions of the 1st July 1916 and an annotated description of the illustration by Joe Sacco, explaining what is happening in each phase of the drawing.

Both books are excellent, a novel take on a graphic novel which really works and Adam Hochschild's essay is perfectly pitched in my opinion; not too 'deep' for the uninitiated but with enough meat for the average GWF member.

In addition to the IWM photo book 'The Great War' I also bought Joe Sacco's book too. I'd never heard of him but was massively impressed by the illustration, outstanding at 24 feet long and a little bit like a WWI version of "Where's Wally"; every inch is packed with something to look at. Along with the actual hardback book comes a softback accompaniment titled "On The Great War" which contains an authors note, an essay by Adam Hochschild on the actions of the 1st July 1916 and an annotated description of the illustration by Joe Sacco, explaining what is happening in each phase of the drawing.

Both books are excellent, a novel take on a graphic novel which really works and Adam Hochschild's essay is perfectly pitched in my opinion; not too 'deep' for the uninitiated but with enough meat for the average GWF member.

Thank you for this recommendation. I ordered it yesterday and those lovely Prime elves at Amazon arranged for it to be delivered today. What an extraordinary piece of work, goodness only knows how long it took him to plan let alone draw. I'm going to have it as a frieze around my classroom.

Ken, in the unlikely event that you were not convinced by Chester837, believe me, well worth owning

David