The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

new member needs help

Guest rebeccagillick

Guest rebeccagillick

my name is rebecca,whilst looking at my grandfathers ww2 navy medals i came accross a ww1 medal that was inscribed with a different name and appeared to be an army medal. I cannot think of any connection with my grandfather and would like to find out who this person was. I already know he did not die in the Great War but after a search could not find any other information. I do not have much time to look around and wondered if anyone would be interested in the challenge. I have his name and service number, so if interested in helping me please email me and i will contact you with the details. rebeccagillick@hotmail.com..... medal details as follows...ww1 victory medal 15717 pte C. Baylis. Worc.R-(doesthis mean it was the worcestershire regiment?) thats all i have..

Rebecca,

Post the medal's details on the forum and you'll be surprised at the feedback you will get.

ps Welcome to the board

Hi Rebecca,

To truly involve the awesome collective knowledge of this forum, publish the medal details here and be damned. You will be surprised at the response.Not necessarily from me though. :D

Rebecca

A quick search of the NA Medal Index cards Online shows your man to be Cecil Baylis, in addition to the Worcesters he was also 197406 Pte. C. Baylis Royal Engineers prior to a transfer to the Worcesters.

If you want to download the MIC (costs £3.50) to find out his full medal entitlement and possibly date of entry into the war then I've attached the link Here

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Steve

There’s only one Cecil Baylis recorded in the 1901 census that I can find. Born in Earlsfield, Lincolnshire, he is aged 11 and living at 7, Rosslyn Road, Tottenham with his parents Henry & Cecilia, brother Harold and sisters Gladys & Eva.

Could this be your man?

SN