The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Regimental bases

Rosemary Clarke

The Army List gives at the beginning of each regiment's section its district number, battle honours, uniforms and facings, current locations, home depot location, record office and territorial force battalion locations.

Cheers

Any specific towns or units, Rosemary?

Graeme

Nothing so simple, Graeme, am hoping to locate all - something of a project.

Thanks to all for your help.

Rosemary

Nothing so simple, Graeme, am hoping to locate all - something of a project.

See Drill Hall thread in Home and POWs section of the Forum.

I, too, set out with 'something of a project', and four years, hundreds of miles, two PCs and a shedload of help later, am miles off my target!

The regimental bases of the infantry regiments isn't too difficult; the sources listed above will provide you with much of the info you require.

Corps such as Royal Artillery and Royal Engineers complicate things dramatically, as does the Territorial Force. depends what you want, and to what level you wish to research to.

I'm happy to help with the Territorials, should you wish, and can only offer my admiration in setting out on a mammoth project. The best of luck!

Graeme

I, too, set out with 'something of a project', and four years, hundreds of miles, two PCs and a shedload of help later, am miles off my target!

The regimental bases of the infantry regiments isn't too difficult; the sources listed above will provide you with much of the info you require.

I'm happy to help with the Territorials, should you wish, and can only offer my admiration in setting out on a mammoth project. The best of luck!

Graeme

Thank you for the encouragement (I think!) and kind offer of help, Graeme.

For various reasons, the infantry regiments are at the top of the list and should answer the majority of the questions.

Rosemary