The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

SWB for Pvte Percy Lynch

Pvte Lynch

G'day,

I am in desperate need of urgent help. I am trying to research my Grandfather as a gift for my father, whose 65th birthday is fast approaching. Private Percy Lynch's regimental number was 300668, which I believe placed him in the 161st Brigade of the 54th (East Anglican) division, which served at Suvla Bay and Gaza. I have discovered from his MIC that he recieved an SWB, and was honourably discharged on 2/8/1919. What I'm trying to find out is what he recieved the SWB for. His MIC lists the SWB roll as K/2124/2. I think he was shot in the knee, so the likeliehood is that this occurred during the second battle of Gaza, but I'm not sure. Throwing some doubt onto this would be the time between the battle and his discharge. My Auntie believes that he was cared for by a German doctor, which I suppose then makes him a POW. Can anybody shed some light on this for me. I can't check the SWB roll myself, as I live down under.

Thanks for all your help.

Stephen

OK,

I've got some more info that may help someone help me. My Grandfather was born on Jan 2nd 1900, and signed up when he was 15. This leads me to believe he would have 'missed the boat' (as it were) that the 1/7th battalion was on, which leads me to believe he must have been part of the 3/7th battalion, which supplied drafts to the 1/7th. If I am correct, then I think the earliest he could have entered the theatre of war would have been for the third battle of Gaza. Can somebody confirm if I am on the right track here. Also, did the 1/7th see any action after Gaza? If not, then that's where he must have been injured, but the time between the third battle of Gaza and his discharge in 1919 still causes me some concern.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Stephen

Hi Stephen, & welcome to the forum

Sorry I cant hlp specifically, but how much time you got mate? If you need firm results quickly, it may be worth asking a researcher like Chris Baker (his site) to do it for you? They can get to the PRO etc.

I can help with the background of the 161st Brigade to a degree, as ive been looking into the 162nd Bgde (54th Div). What they were up to, where and when kind of stuff only though.

So were talking 1/7th Essex, 161 Bgde?

What date of entry & theatre does his MIC say?

Could have been a POW, as the Turkish front collapsed around the same time as the German one, so a 1919 discharge would be possible.

Cheers

Steve :D

Guest Ian Bowbrick

It is not uncommon to find returned POWs being discharged under papra 392 and having a SWB.

It is also perfectly feasible for a POW to be demobbed/disembodied in 1919 - most were unless they signed on again.

All the unit info you need is on the mothersite.

Thanks for the info guys,

The MIC doesn't specify a Theatre of War, just the medals. The discharging as a POW in 1919 makes sense now that you point it out. I've decided to give myself a bit more time (hey if I'm gonna do it, I may as well make sure I do it right). I've sent an Email off to Ian Hook to see if he can help, and will continue to consult family sources (but these do vary). As for Dad's 65th, my history of Pop's WW 2 Service will have to do fo the time being.

Stephen

PS: - I wish I had asked Pop all of this while he was still with us, but he preferred to talk about the places he visited and the good times he had, rather than go into any detail about the theatres of War.

I've decided to give myself a bit more time (hey if I'm gonna do it, I may as well make sure I do it right).

PS: - I wish I had asked Pop all of this while he was still with us, but he preferred to talk about the places he visited and the good times he had, rather than go into any detail about the theatres of War.

Stephen

Absolutely right mate, do it properly!

And as for the ps, dont we all!!! :D Still, a least you can find out yourself now. look ofrward to seeing your posts int he future Stephen; will see if I can help any way I can.

Cheers

Steve