The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Northumberland Fusiliers-but what battalion?

Guest pitman

Hi, my grandfather was in the Northumberland Fusiliers but I do not know what battalion. His service records were destroyed and all I have is his service number. His medal card only shows the NF. Anyone have any idea how I can track this info down. Thanks

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The reference on the medal card needs to be translated into a WO 329 number using the books at the PRO. WO 329 is the catalogue number for the medal rolls, on which his Battalion should be recorded.

Ian

His number might help a regimental expert. For instance, for my lot, a number 10,000 serving before about Christmas 1914 would HAVE to be a pre-war regular and therefore HAVE to be 1RWF or 2RWF ............. this because numbers in 3,4,5,6, and 7RWF had not reached more than about 5000 by outbreak of war.

Similar considerations but different numbers will apply in your case.

The medal card will show date entered theatre if qualification includes 1914 or 1914-15 star.

Hi,

You can check online wether the Durham Records Office holds the Absent Voters Records for your area, if they do you must then book a session on a micro film reader, they are very helpful. They seem to have most records for the Durham pit villages, the records show name rank number battalion and address and sometimes company and any transfers.

Wish you luck.

Barry

He didn't receive the 1914-15 star so I assume he was not in theatre until 1916. His regimental number begins 164.

As an aside, family recollect a photo of him alongside a big white horse and I have what I believe to be his army spurs with his initials stamped into the leather and the metal. Would the NF have mounted fusiliers?

I may be able to help.

What is your grandfathers full service number?

Pitman

The 6 figure number seems to be among the batch that was issued to the 6th Battalion T.F. Northumberland Fusiliers in the March 1917 renumbering. This is the Battalion I am studying.

I have checked my lists for this Batt. and have not got his number so far. Did his medal card show a 4 figure number as well?

Do you know anything else about him?

Kate

I don't believe he ever got to CSM and the number quoted doesn't appear anywhere in my records. I've had three years off from researching my family history and it's only because my daughter is visiting the trenches and war graves at Ypres on a school history visit that I'd thought I'd try and find out more about JTR. As mentioned earlier his service records were destroyed, but I do have his spurs, bayonet, ID tag, brass matchbox and NF lapel badge - but no details of where he was.

Looking at the 6th N.F. 4 figure numbers in the 7000 and 8000 range start to appear about September 1916, in the casualty appendices. Lots of soldiers with these numbers seem to be drafted in from other Battalions and regiments, in October & November 1916. Usually if the soldiers have been previously in the 4th,5th,or 7th Battalions N.F. they have a Battalion number before their four figure number.

Interestingly 1 man whose numbers follow a similar pattern to your Grandfather's and who was drafted into the 6th Battalion, was originally in the Northumberland Hussars although this is not shown on his Index card. All his numbers on the card are Northumberland Fusiliers.

Do you have your Grandfather's date of birth, so that we can see how old he was in 1916?

It sounds as though you have very interesting things belonging to him.

Kate

born 16/07/1887 County Durham - so he was about 29 in 1916. Interesting that you mention the Northumberland Hussars - this may fit in with the horse and spurs. He was a grocer by trade before the war.

Unfortunately when he died in 1975 most of the paperwork in his house was destroyed. I didn't start my research until 1992, so all i have are relatives recollections and the items listed above. Compared to others though I have quite a lot.

JTRs index card also only shows the NF with the 8238 listed above the 7870 and then the 267325.

Pitman

Have you downloaded the actual card £3.50 from the MIC online as this should show his date of arrival in overseas area.

Also the absent voters would be a help if you have an address for him at some point near to 14 -18.

Did he marry before WW1?

Kate

Pitman

I have been thinking about your grandfather and I don't think the Absent voters will take you much further because this seems to be a 1918 - 19 listing and it seems it will just say Northumberland Fusiliers.

Even if it tells you that he was in 6th Battalion that will not help about his earlier service.

If he was a grocer, it doesn't seem that he was a regular soldier before the war.

It's a pity that the White Horse photo does not exist. For the moment I am stymied, but I will be looking out for any information about him.

It doesn't seem that we are going to find anything definite before your daughter's visit to Ypres.

Sorry.

Kate

Thanks for your efforts - Have today found out that although I have his "NF" tunic badge - another member of the family has the NF lapel badge and a relative remembers him being described as a batman.

Regards

Ian