The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

100 Days to Victory by Saul David (bargain)

Bernard_Lewis

Hardback, cover price £20, picked up the last copy in my local 'Works' shop for £7 today.

Looks OK to me.

Bernard

No need for this to be in Skindles - I'll move it to the main forum

Not available on The Works online site - ordered from Amazon.

There's a pile of them in my local branch of 'The Works' at £4-99 a throw. Looks as if it was remaindered almost as soon as it was published. Why does this happen? Will this be the fate of many other centenary tie-ins?

I don't know that book, but high speed remaindering will surely happen to quite a few centenary volumes, and in some cases may even be too good a fate. It is going to be quite a challenge for those of us without decent local bookshops to distinguish the genuinely interesting and well researched items from the pile of dross rush of interesting titles that is emerging.

Keith

How very true. With exception of Falklands Max, Mallinson and Hart, few do the latest commemoration works have floated my boat or justified reading time for review.

The one I bought covers particular days - so you have 4 August 1914, first execution of a British deserter, the execution of Mata Hari, 1 July 1916, execution of the Tsar, 8 August 1918 etc.

Just vignettes of each chosen day in a couple of pages or so. Light reading for bedtime!

Bernard

How very true. With exception of Falklands Max, Mallinson and Hart, few do the latest commemoration works have floated my boat or justified reading time for review.

Not even 'the War that ended Peace' by Margaret MacMillan? Overall I think that has been the most favourably reviewed of the pre-centenary crop.

I think my favourite to date is David Reynolds' 'The Long Shadow' . That looks at the legacy of the war in the 20th Century, but I think it still counts as a commemoration text

David

I think that Saul David has decided that the future lies in producing light military potboilers and Allan Mallinson-style fiction rather than serious historical works based on original research.

I would not expect a book by Margaret MacMillan to be anything other than scholarly and well researched. I haven't got round to her recent book, but her work on the 1919 Peace Treaty covers much ground, and is based on real material. It helped me to see how much of the world that I grew up in, and that we still live in was formed into states.

Keith

Christopher Clark 'The Sleepwalkers' is, I would venture, the other serious recent contribution to the 'causes' debate, alongside MacMillan.

Christopher Clark 'The Sleepwalkers' is, I would venture, the other serious recent contribution to the 'causes' debate, alongside MacMillan.

Definitely. I read it over the summer and commented on other threads that it had changed my perceptions of how the war started.