The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

3rd Division, Arras April 1917

John Holmes

I'm trying to follow the 3rd Division in the 1st and 3rd Battles of the Scarpe in April 1917 and have found small pieces of information on some of the battalions. Can anyone help with the Order of Battle please.

John

Cheers Malcolm,

the maps are great, I've got a book on Arras but it's only V.C.s won there and trying to find out anything on the three battles of the Scarpe the information seems a bit thin. Thanks once again for your help.

John

• 1 month later...

John

A book which gives a good overview of the battle of Arras 1917 is 'Cheerful Sacrifice' by Jonathan Nicholls published by Leo Cooper. ISBN 0 85052 520 9. Price £19.99.

I also found it a very good read.

Cheers

Andy

Dear Malcolm,

May I ask where you found the schematic of Arras? I found the view very helpful. Laffin tried to do something similar with his book Panorama but was undone by the awfulness of the print job. In my own book on the Canadians and the Great War I am planning to have full-colour reproductions of watercolours I am commissioning showing the lay of the land at prominent battle sites.

The complete order of battle of this and all other Divisions is on the Long, Long Trail website. Click the link that appears top left of this page.

The 3rd Division ORBAT is here.

To all,

thankyou very much for your help and advice and have found some more useful info on the battles with it. I am gradually being able to find out more of the division's part and will keep on with it.

Thanks once again.

John