The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Boy Soldiers Of The Great War

Granton Chaz

It is.

You might also want to check out 'The Soldier's War' and 'Famous 1914-1918' both of which are excellent

David

Just finishing it, on final chapter, after hearing Richard van Emden talk about the subject at Eastbourne Redoubt last month, absolutely brilliant. Onto The Quick and the Dead straight after it.

Just finishing it, on final chapter, after hearing Richard van Emden talk about the subject at Eastbourne Redoubt last month, absolutely brilliant. Onto The Quick and the Dead straight after it.

Hi

Just got The Quick and the Dead & will be reading it soon

I bought and read 'Boy Soldiers of the Great War' and 'Prisoners of the Kaiser' as both books were pertinent to my granddad's service. Granddad was only 16 1/2 when he enlisted in August 1914 (his photo at that age is my avatar) and my son who is now almost 18 looks a lot like him. I wondered how on earth anyone could mistake such a gangly teenager for a man especially when I look at a photo of granddad taken in March 1916, he looks so different but I found Richard's books hugely informative. He was reported as being under-age in August 1915 but it seems that no-one cared enough to kick up a fuss and claim him back.