The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Book Title Help Wanted

RammyLad1

My son has just asked me what I want for Christmas :whistle: I couldn't think of anything specific except for a book. I recall on my visit to the Somme this year being told about the story of four British soldiers that were being hidden by French villagers. They were all eventually executed by German trooops and one of them had a child to a local girl. I even went to see their graves but can't remember the title of the book that tells the story. Any ideas please.

Duncan

A Foreign Field by Ben Macintyre

PBI thank you very much. Thats the one.

Have you read Arthur Russell..The Machine Gunner or George Coppards With MG to Cambrai ?

Have read MG to Cambrai many years ago. Not heard of Arthur Russell's book though. Am currently reading the abridged version of Winston Churchill's World Crisis 1911- 1918. A fantastic wordsmith old Winston, obviously biased towards him but a good read.

Winston served in the Ploegsteert Sector in WW1 but rather embellished his time there..

Didn't Asquith describe the book as 'Winston's description of his role in the war, so he's calling it the World Crisis'

It's a wonderful read, but as the first salvo in 'The battle of the memoirs', not to be fully trusted for objectivity!

David