The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1914: the Marne and the Aisne by Carless-Davis and Hilditch

Jim Hastings

Good evening all,

I just wondered if any forum member had read this title?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1914-Aisne-Two-Accounts-Battles-Hilditch/dp/0857065424/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387395790&sr=8-1&keywords=1914%3A+the+Marne+and+the+Aisne+by+Carless-Davis+and+Hilditch

If so, what was the verdict, a worthwhile purchase? I am particularly interested in the 2nd Bde, 1st Div action on the Aisne, and was wondering if this would be a useful addition to my library.

Would value any feedback

Many thanks and best wishes

Jim

Jim

You really must stop doing this. Just when I thought there were no more books on 1914 to tempt me, you find one I've never heard of!

Get behind me Satan!!

David

Good evening all,

I just wondered if any forum member had read this title?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1914-Aisne-Two-Accounts-Battles-Hilditch/dp/0857065424/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387395790&sr=8-1&keywords=1914%3A+the+Marne+and+the+Aisne+by+Carless-Davis+and+Hilditch

If so, what was the verdict, a worthwhile purchase? I am particularly interested in the 2nd Bde, 1st Div action on the Aisne, and was wondering if this would be a useful addition to my library.

Would value any feedback

Many thanks and best wishes

Jim

Jim... you can actually have a look for yourself as both sections of the book are available for free download on archive.com

Hilditch's 'Troyon' essay is part of a book of his entitled 'Battle Sketches 1914-15'...https://archive.org/details/battlesketches1900hilduoft

Carless-Davis' section is entitled as per the front cover of the Amazon book ..... https://archive.org/details/cihm_66992

Dave.

Sorry David :whistle: , Fattyowls (Pete) keeps telling me to stop it too

Ok, ok, time to come clean "Hello everyone, I'm Jim Hastings and I'm a Great War book addict" ... :blink:

Looks like Dave has saved you David(and me)!!! Thank you so much Dave, really appreciate you posting that for me (us)

So much seems to be getting downloadable these days, although I prefer the feel of a book, I value the words more, in whatever format

Thanks again

Jim

(PS David, if it's any consolation I have been stacking my wish list with Aisne 1914 books for the last few days, having re-looked into 2nd Sussex's actions on the 14th Sept at Troyon, just got to get them past the wife's radar ...)

Ok, ok, time to come clean "Hello everyone, I'm Jim Hastings and I'm a Great War book addict" ... :blink:

Looks like Dave has saved you David(and me)!!! Thank you so much Dave, really appreciate you posting that for me (us)

So much seems to be getting downloadable these days, although I prefer the feel of a book, I value the words more, in whatever format

Thanks again

Jim

(PS David, if it's any consolation I have been stacking my wish list with Aisne 1914 books for the last few days, having re-looked into 2nd Sussex's actions on the 14th Sept at Troyon, just got to get them past the wife's radar ...)

Jim

Just play the teaching card. It worked like a charm for me for years. Before then it was always a battle, afterwards 'I need it for school' was pretty much unanswerable. Unfortunately after a while the question 'Do you only teach the Great War then?' became equally unanswerable!

David

Jim

You really must stop doing this. Just when I thought there were no more books on 1914 to tempt me, you find one I've never heard of!

Get behind me Satan!!

David

David

I thought; hmm that sounds interesting until I saw the original poster. I am convinced that Jim Hastings is not a real person at all but a cunning piece of computer malware developed by someone like Amazon* to trap the unwary (i.e. us) into more and more book purchases. Marilyne has also noticed this tendency of Mr so called Hastings (or maybe we should call him jimhastings.exe) to recommend multiple volumes in the guise of impartial advice or apparently innocent requests for advice.

Pete.

*This of course does not in any way imply, suggest, infer or otherwise state that Amazon are responsible for Jim Hastings. Other book sellers are available (and some pay taxes). Allegedly.

Thanks again

Jim

Outed on a public forum Mr So Called Hastings! I have to admit that it does sound interesting. Vendresse is one of my all time favourite CWGC cemeteries and I have always found the Chemin de Dames a fascinating battlefied. I was hoping to turn the central heating on all day next Wednesday but maybe if I just put it on after sunset I might be able to afford another book.......

Pete

I am sure you are on to something here. I've just noticed another similarity between jimhastings.exe and the Amazon mothership. You notice how, just like on Amazon, the moment you say you like something there are a string of apposite and fiendishly seductive other titles suggested - 'inspired by your browsing history'

The truth is out there

David

Pete

I am sure you are on to something here. I've just noticed another similarity between jimhastings.exe and the Amazon mothership. You notice how, just like on Amazon, the moment you say you like something there are a string of apposite and fiendishly seductive other titles suggested - 'inspired by your browsing history'

The truth is out there

David

In the interests of balance jimhastings.exe is generating revenue for the Forum provided we purchase via the forum link so it is not all bad......

Gents, gents, as I was saying to Mr Bezos just the other day about interest in the Great War ...

Truth is I'm afraid I picked up a 'bad' habit in the 'mob': soak up every scrap of info on a subject, then add a bit of Bruce :Lee's philosophy of "absorb what is useful and disregard the rest"

Result is a library of books and books!! I tried the 'teaching card' David, but likewise I got caught out: ten books on Medieval Europe, fifteen books on Imperial Rome, 200 on Great War .... er

By the way, 'browsing history' gets me every time ....

Enjoy your reading and have a great Christmas fellas (... can I interest you in some vouchers ...)

Jim

Gents, gents, as I was saying to Mr Bezos just the other day about interest in the Great War ...

Truth is I'm afraid I picked up a 'bad' habit in the 'mob': soak up every scrap of info on a subject, then add a bit of Bruce :Lee's philosophy of "absorb what is useful and disregard the rest"

Result is a library of books and books!! I tried the 'teaching card' David, but likewise I got caught out: ten books on Medieval Europe, fifteen books on Imperial Rome, 200 on Great War .... er

By the way, 'browsing history' gets me every time ....

Enjoy your reading and have a great Christmas fellas (... can I interest you in some vouchers ...)

Jim

Thank you Jim and the same to you.