The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Quintinshill Conspiracy

paulgranger

Recently published, the 'Truth' about Britain's worst train crash, is at The Works for £4.99.

Published by Pen & Sword; here's the company's

blurb

I'm always a little suspicious about such claims, and it would be interesting to see a knowledgeable review.

Only £4.99? How come, when the cover price seems to have been £25 - it's now available from Pen & Sword for £20.

Moonraker

PS Ah! Just found some reviews on the

Amazon website

The considerable reduction of price for recently published books at The Works and similar outlets is always a mystery, but there it was so I snapped it up

As mentioned on another thread the recently published book by Saul David '100 Days to Victory' is also already available at a massive discount at 'The Works'.

Recently published, the 'Truth' about Britain's worst train crash, is at The Works for £4.99.

I also picked up a copy at the works. At the same time I brought Family At War The Foljambe Family And The Great War, with a forward by Richard Holmes. Priced at £3.99.

Mandy

I also picked up a copy at the works. At the same time I brought Family At War The Foljambe Family And The Great War, with a forward by Richard Holmes. Priced at £3.99.

Mandy

The Reading branch is not so well stocked. I would love both those books but neither available at the moment. Did pick up Holmes' "Shots from the Front" for a fiver recently which was pleasing

David

Closing down sale at The Works, all even cheaper now.

I'm not sure this is a closing down sale.

In my local store it is described as a Liquidation Sale - all stock must go - but it is also described as a Warehouse Liquidation Sale and at the till there is a notice saying they are not closing down, just holding a Liquidation Sale.

In need of some ready cash ??

I hope that's the case. Over the years I have picked up some real Great War bargains. Would be sad to see it go

David

• 1 year later...

I have just finished reading the paperback version of this, which I bought at great expense (£5!) from The Works a couple of weeks or so ago.

The main theme is that James Tinsley, the signalman at the heart of the disaster, was suffering from an attack of epilepsy at the time, which meant that he was unable to carry out the job. The authors claim that he suffered from a fit after the accident and was in a very poor state of health. However, this doesn't seem to have been properly diagnosed by anyone either before or after the disaster, and we only have a small amount of evidence for the claim.

The book claims that there was a great cover up, led by the Caledonian Railway and going all the way up to the Prime Minister (Herbert Asquith). The reason was that the establishment didn't want another scandal so soon after the Shell Scandal and the developments at Gallipoli.

As this was a Scottish tragedy, I will use a paraphrased version of a Scottish legal phrase and say "Not (totally) proven". I don't think that there is any doubt that there was a cover up of sorts, as the railway company didn't like the fact that their lax monitoring of the procedures that the signalmen at Quintinshill should have followed but didn't would have put them in a bad light.

However, to say that the "conspiracy" went all the way to the top is, as far as I can see, a claim for too far. I do not agree that the "evidence" that the authors have provided is conclusive proof of their claims, as much of it is their interpretation of what happened. There's also a lot of 21st century judgement on a 20th century case, which is not a good thing to do.

It is plain to see, though, that this accident should not have happened and wouldn't have had the correct procedures been followed by the signalmen and their superiors. It is easy (and I do) to feel sorry for the people concerned, and to regret that it happened, but I can't agree that the authors are correct in their views.

It's a good book, though, and contains quite a lot that I didn't know about what happened. I mostly enjoyed reading it, and I would recommend it as a full description, as long as the conspiracy theory part is kept at "arms length".

• 2 months later...

Excellent research but several leaps of faith too far in reaching their conclusions. If there was a conspiracy it was more likely related to the dangerously inflammable state of the obsolete carriages the soldiers were transported in.