The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

6th Edinburgh Highlanders

AthollHighlander

Can anyone help?

A cousin of my grandmother was killed in the Great War and his own grandmother erected a stone in his memory at Elgin Cemetery.

the inscription reads in part

" Erected for William P (Pryce) McDonald 6th Edinburgh Highlanders. Wounded Cambrai, France. Presumed to have died 22/3/18 age 19."

A William Pryce McDonald date of death given as 21/03/18 6th Bn Gordon Highlanders on the CWGC site is remembered on the Arras memorial so if this is correct why would "Edinburgh Highlanders"be used? I haven't seen the stone first hand so will need to check.

Any help gratefully received.

Atholl

Not Edinburgh Highlanders, Gordon Highlanders.

Name: McDONALD, WILLIAM PRYCE

Initials: W P

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Gordon Highlanders

Unit Text: 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 21/03/1918

Service No: S/20576

Additional information: Son of William and Lizzie McDonald, of 16, South College St., Elgin, Morayshire.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 8 and 9

Cemetery: ARRAS MEMORIAL

Aye

Malcolm

Atholl

Your query intrigued me because the Edinburgh Regiment is the Royal Scots and their 9th Battalion was their Highland Battalion, not the 6th.

I checked the CWGC website for your relative's death and it says that he was in 6th (Banffshire and Donside) Gordon Highlanders, (maybe someone can tell us if they were known as the Edinburgh Highlanders).

They were part of 152 Brigade, 51 Division, and they were heavily involved in the Battle of St Quentin on 21 March 1918, suffering heavy casualties.

I recommend that you look at the details on the CWGC site and then look at the details of 51 Division on the Long Long Long trail website.

Best of luck

SEAN

Not Edinburgh Highlanders, Gordon Highlanders.

Many thanks Malcolm

Just edited my original message to incorporate this info so apologies for not being more comprehensive in what I knew.

As I've now also added I haven't seen the inscription personally so it appears the information has been passed on incorrectly somewhere in the family during research.

Atholl

Atholl

He was in 6th (Banffshire and Donside) Gordon Highlanders, (maybe someone can tell us if they were known as the Edinburgh Highlanders).

They were part of 152 Brigade, 51 Division, and they were heavily involved in the Battle of St Quentin on 21 March 1918, suffering heavy casualties.

Sean

Thats much appreciated. Bit of a novice with the various sites at present . Will be interested if anyone else can shed any light on the mixup of name although I will visit the stone personally asap to check. It may have been mistakenly given to me as Edinburgh Highlanders.

Atholl

Atholl/Sean

Sean is quite correct. The 1/6th Gordons were never known as "The Edinburgh Highlanders"

That title was reserved for the 1/9th (Highland) Battalion, The Royal Scots, The City of Edinburgh Regiment and they were indeed a very famous element of the 51st (Highland) Division but in 154 Brigade and not 152 Brigade as Sean states. They had another name, or rather a nickname, -- "The Dandy Ninth". This was due to the fact that the Battalion had been raised from the sons of middle and upper class Edinburgh and received from them sumptuous Food/Comfort Parcels of which their fellow Jocks were undeniably jealous.

Regards

Jim Gordon

I take it you have checked the Memorial in the High Street in Elgin for his name?

Malcolm

As the information was new to me this week no opportunity yet to check. Will be heading through though asap.

I know Jim McGinlay, a new member has put information online relating to memorials so will enquire there in the meantime, and also the Long, Long Trail site.

Thanks to all for advise given..

Atholl.

Appreciated Malcolm. On holiday week after next so hoping to visit then. Also hoping to visit My Great Great Uncles grave in Cromdale. He died in Bedford Military hospital in 1919 but no other info on him so hoping to gather some.

Atholl