The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

'The Great War' Jonathan Cape

GRANVILLE

I can't see this book gets a mention anywhere else, which is one of the reasons I was so surprised to be gifted it this Christmas by my son - I've never seen mention of it before. He tells me he spotted a review in one of the newspapers and felt sure I would appreciate it. It's a monster of a book, weighing in at a full 7lbs in old money and is an IWM publication. It's a pictorial record of the war containing many never before seen photographs; certainly I've not seen many of them. I'm somewhat puzzled by the way the book seems to have a number of random, completely unused pages within it's covers - seems a bit of a waste to me, nevertheless, if you can handle it's size and weight it's well worth looking out for.

David

Funnily enough I too have been surprised by the lack of reviews. I saw it reviewed in the telegraph (possibly the same review your son saw) went on to Amazon and got it for half price.

You certainly need a sturdy coffee table as it is a beast of a book. It's the largest collection of photos I haven't seen before but I still felt a little disappointed when I finished looking through it. I don't know what I was expecting or what it could have done more, perhaps the bottom line is I just prefer books with a more equal split of words and pictures, and that is hardly the fault of this volume as it definitely does what it says on the tin.

David

Went into the local Waterstones today and came out with this under my arm. Had a look through this evening and was pleasantly surprised at the quantity & quality of the photographs & really liked the fact that there are photos from German photographers and that there were sections relating to other theatres apart from the Western Front.

At some point I will sit down and properly work my way through page by page.

Went into the local Waterstones today and came out with this under my arm.

I am impressed. I take my copy off the shelf and put it on the table and I need a lie down. You're on any arm-wrestling team I put together!!

David

I am impressed. I take my copy off the shelf and put it on the table and I need a lie down. You're on any arm-wrestling team I put together!!

David

Well, you'd defo be impressed if I told you that I had to carry it around for the best part of 2 hours whilst Mrs Chester837 then went to every other shop in the centre!

David

Well, you'd defo be impressed if I told you that I had to carry it around for the best part of 2 hours whilst Mrs Chester837 then went to every other shop in the centre!

Brilliant! I am imagining you as Marley's ghost dragging "the chains I forged in life" around with you

David