The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Sussex Regiment, 1935

Digger

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this. I have a long photo of the Regiment at the Chichester Depot. It has a little damage, but everyone's face can be seen. I only recognise two people in the photo, Sir Trevor Wheler, Baronet (by a strange quirk of fate I worked for him during the late 80's) and my grandfather, William Fogden. If anyone would like copies I have scanned it in small parts, and I am happy to email it to them - albeit in pieces.

Digger

Is it a photo of the 1st Battalion, or more? My father was in the 2nd battalion at that time, but I know they were abroad in 1935 as he took a series of photos of the Quetta Earthquake [May 31st], and I'm not sure when they came back to the UK.

Sue

Sorry Sue, I don't know. The photo has Depot, Royal Sussex Regiment, 1935 printed on it, there are 174 men in uniform and 6, including my grandfather in civvies. Could they have been support staff for the regiment? Not up on numbers of men per battalion. Apologies for being unhelpful.

Janet

I guess that they may have been the Depot staff - with the 2nd Battalion still safely tucked up in India/Egypt. Thanks anyway.

Regards - Sue