The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

army uniform

Guest junef

Can anyone identify the uniform in attached photo of my grandfather please.

His name was J W BARTLETT and he was born in 1875 in London but also lived in Norfolk and Kent before 1920.

I take it he must have served in WW1 and Im hoping to find which regiment he was in so I can eventually send for his service records.This is the only bit of information I have apart from the fact that he survived the war.

June

post-1-1096533995.jpg

June - the crossbelt of ammo pouches indicate some form of mounted unit. However, that could be anything from straightforward cavalry to Royal Artillery, Army Service Corp etc.

Any other military clues on your original?

Des

June

Could you tell me what "J.W." stands for?

Kind rgds

Ed

Hi Ed,

The J W Bartlett stands for Jabes Walter BARTLETT.

I felt sure his name would be listed somewhere but no luck so far.

June

June - the crossbelt of ammo pouches indicate some form of mounted unit. However, that could be anything from straightforward cavalry to Royal Artillery, Army Service Corp etc.

Any other military clues on your original?

Des

Hi Des,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately all I have is the one photo and no other clues apart from where he was born and lived at the age he must have been in the war.

He was a chef after the war for many years - and eventually move into food processing manufacturing.

Would that be a clue do you think.

June

Him being a Chef;post War;might just point to ASC Service as they operated Field Bakeries & Kitchens,as often pre war & post war career bore no relation to War service qualification}as does his age,he would have been 36 ish;,but it is a very tentative link,There does not appear to be any Jabes/Jabez Bartlett's in either the Census 1901 or in the NA archive,would he possibly have used another forename?"Job" etc?

Hello Harry- thanks your reply.

I have my Jabez on the 1901 census shown as being at home with his wife Ada and two children living in Honslow.

On the census his name is given as James BARTLETT but its the only record I have of him using this name.

June

I would suggest that you use James Walter Bartlett[There may be more than one or two] to search the Medal Index Cards,Jabez /Jabes may have been the Family name used,if James is on the Census,it might be his Official Name? Have you Birth/Death Certificates?

Hi Harry,

Yes - I have birth,Marriage certs and death notice and even on the 1881 census - they all show him using Jabes Walter.

Just the 1901 he used James.

I checked on one medal site and found a couple of J Bartletts but I would have needed to just take a guess which one. At that stage though I didnt have an idea of which regiment now with your suggestions I may have more luck.

June