The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Charterhouse Casualties

mark.topham

It is the same man. I know of six old boys out of 97 who died who also attended other schools: G C Kay (Charterhouse), Captain Frank Bentley MC ( Rossall), Lt Thomas Floyd (Manchester Grammar), Lt William Sleigh (King William's Isle of Man) and the two Bradley brothers (Liverpool College).

My school Roll of Honour also includes a good half dozen old boys who went on to other schools and are probably also on their rolls. Might have been more, but I don't have the exact details to hand as I'm away from home!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Trying to find out out more about Hon Lionel Lindsay, an old Carthusian, who survived the war. I have the following:

Hon. Lionel Lindsay was born on 20 July 1879.2 He was the son of James Ludovic Lindsay, 26th Earl of Crawford and Emily Florence Bootle-Wilbraham.1,2 He married Kathleen Yone Kennedy, daughter of Sir John Gordon Kennedy and Evelyn Adela Bootle-Wilbraham, on 25 October 1921.1 He died on 18 August 1965 at age 86.1

He was educated at Charterhouse School, Godalming, Surrey, England.2 He was educated at Trinity College, Cambridge University, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England.2 He fought in the First World War, where he was mentioned in despatches.2 He was decorated with the award of the Military Cross (M.C.).1 He gained the rank of Captain in the service of the 16th Service Battalion, King's Royal Rifle Corps.2 He was decorated with the award of the Legion of Honour.2

Trying to find out out more about Hon Lionel Lindsay, an old Carthusian, who survived the war. I have the following:

Hon. Lionel Lindsay was born on 20 July 1879.2 He was the son of James Ludovic Lindsay, 26th Earl of Crawford and Emily Florence Bootle-Wilbraham.1,2 He married Kathleen Yone Kennedy, daughter of Sir John Gordon Kennedy and Evelyn Adela Bootle-Wilbraham, on 25 October 1921.1 He died on 18 August 1965 at age 86.1

He was educated at Charterhouse School, Godalming, Surrey, England.2 He was educated at Trinity College, Cambridge University, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England.2 He fought in the First World War, where he was mentioned in despatches.2 He was decorated with the award of the Military Cross (M.C.).1 He gained the rank of Captain in the service of the 16th Service Battalion, King's Royal Rifle Corps.2 He was decorated with the award of the Legion of Honour.2

Hon. Lionel Lindsay was in the original establishment of 16/KRRC as a Lieutenant in C Coy on the battalion's formation in September 1914. He was gazetted as a temporary Lieutenant effective 02 Oct 1914.and then as a temporary Captain effective 22 Feb 1915 [LG 1914 Issue 28986 p.9974 and 1915 Issue 29096, p.2484]

He went out with 16/KRRC in November 1915 as a Captain in B Coy.

Capt. Lindsay is mentioned by name for his part in the action against HAZY TRENCH near LES BOEUFS on 05 Nov 1916 ...

"The attack was very succesful, and casualties were comparatively few. This was mainly due to the example of determination and heroism exhibited by Captain Hon. L. Lindsay, who re-organised and consolidated the line; ..."

[KRRC Chronicle 1916 p.254]

In the 1916 KRRC Chronicle Lindsay is listed as being awarded the MC in the 16th Battalion War Record, but not in the overall regimental Honours List at the end of the volume. In the Honours List in the 1917 KRRC Chronicle his MC is dated 10 Jan 1917, and here's the corresponding LG entry

post-20192-0-12006600-1406555381_thumb.j

[LG 1917 Issue 29898, p.459]

The strong similarity between the battalion record and the LG citation makes it pretty clear the MC was for the Hazy Trench attack.

Thereafter I can find no mention of Lindsay in the KRRC Chronicle nor Hutchinson's History of the Thirty-Third Division. I will attempt to investigate if he was given a staff job.

So far I have not traced his MiD either.

The 1919 Army List also records a Legion of Honour 5th Class.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

• 1 year later...

This is an old topic now, which I missed when it was 'live' - too busy with other things. I am responsible for the current Charterhouse Roll of Honour on the Roll of Honour Internet site, including its errors and omissions. With the School's backing, I and others have been (all-too-slowly!) slogging through the names of the fallen, close on 700 old boys plus 'school servants' so-termed and masters, since 2008. I am pleased to report that our efforts are likely quite soon to bear fruit in the shape of a comprehensive, well-researched Roll on the School's own site. 'Watch this space!', as they say.

Eric Webb