The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Staffordshire Yeomanry Photographs

matt185

Hi

I've recently unearthed a few photos of my Grandfather who served with the Staffordshire Yeomanry but we have no information whatsoever about what he did during the Great War. He refused to speak about it when he was alive and the photos I have don't seem to tally up with the shreds of information I can find. His Roll Card Record says N Staffs but his cap badge is clearly Staffs Yeomanry. Again one photo says C Company but I can find no record of that. All I can find is that the 2/1st Staffs Yeo ended up in Canterbury but don't appear to have seen any active service??? Although he was from York he moved to Canterbury during WWII but we never knew why. Perhaps he had memories of being stationed there.

Any light anybody could shed on these photos would be greatly appreciated. I have others too.

Many thanks

Regards

Matt Tindall

post-105179-0-89816800-1388489834_thumb.

post-105179-0-95666200-1388489860_thumb.

post-105179-0-52036300-1388489920_thumb.

post-105179-0-27748500-1388489983_thumb.

Very interesting photos indeed (my login gives it away).

The history of the Staffordshire Yeomanry is here on the site: http://www.1914-1918.net/staffsyeo.htm

The regiment never served on the Western Front.

The picture which says "C Coy" will not be of him in the Staffordshire Yeomanry - as Yeomanry Regiments have Squadrons, not Companies. The document you illustrate is a Medal Index Card (MIC) indicates that he served overseas with the North Staffordshire Regiment (if it is the same man), but not with the Staffordshire Yeomanry. Perhaps he was transferred later from a home service unit of the Staffs Yeo to the North Staffords.

The museum would be interested to hear of them, I'm sure. http://staffordshireyeomanrymuseum.weebly.com/index.html Or may even help.

Hi Phil

Ah - interesting - thanks for that.

The MIC card is definitely him - only 1 Claude B Tindall on record. And that's him 9th from the left on the C Coy photo. So he must have transferred to the North Staffords at some point. I've sent the photos to the museum previously but never heard anything back which was a shame. Gives me another line of enquiry anyway. Back to Google!

Thanks again

Matt

Matt,

thanks for posting the pics - very interesting - particularly if they do turn out to be of the Staffordshire Yeomanry - I am researching a local chap who served with C Squadron of 1/1st Staffs Yeomanry in Palestine throughout the war only to die in October 1918 of illness.

Regards,

Ant

Hi Ant

They're definitely Staffs Yeomanry pics - apart from the one marked C Coy. You can see the different cap badges. It appears he transferred at some point. What I don't know is how early those Staffs Yeo pics are. He was born in 1900 so I'm guessing they'd be 1916/17. I've contacted a couple of other people who seem to be leading lights on all things Staffs so it'll be interesting to see what they come back with.

Cheers

Matt

What I like about the photograph, used in your first post and your avatar, is that it shows your Grandfather wearing a "Victorian" crowned Staffordshire Yeomanry cap badge out of period. His tunic is clearly an early WW1 economy issue.

It would be interesting to see close ups of the badges worn in the group photos.

Sepoy

What I like about the photograph, used in your first post and your avatar, is that it shows your Grandfather wearing a "Victorian" crowned Staffordshire Yeomanry cap badge out of period. His tunic is clearly an early WW1 economy issue.

It would be interesting to see close ups of the badges worn in the group photos.

Sepoy

The badge is not so "out of period" as the Staffordshire Yeomanry wore Victorian crown badges in WW1 and long thereafter. NCOs - at least - wore them in Normandy in 1944. And it gives the lie to the "genuine" cap badges which are basically South Staffords with the scroll removed.

Please keep trying with the museum - my direct contacts are gone, but do persist. The Staffordshire Yeomanry is about to disappear forever - a tragedy for a regiment which was with Allenby and then one of the few which was both at El Alamein AND D-Day. It was B Squadron of the Mercian Yeomanry (1969-71); of the Queen's Own Mercian Yeomanry (1971-92) and then the Royal Mercian and Lancastrian Yeomanry. And are now being discarded so that a Yeomanry squadron can be formed in Scotland before the referendum. Go figure.

The badge is not so "out of period" as the Staffordshire Yeomanry wore Victorian crown badges in WW1 and long thereafter. NCOs - at least - wore them in Normandy in 1944. And it gives the lie to the "genuine" cap badges which are basically South Staffords with the scroll removed.

Thank you for this. It is interesting to note that the NCOs continued to wear the older pattern badge well into WWII. In 1914, the Surrey Yeomanry NCO's continued to wear the "Spear and Coronet" cap badge, long after it had been replaced, just to show them apart from the new recruits......

Sepoy

I forgot to add the reason why the Staffordshire Yeomanry wore the QVC badge. It's from the suffix Staffordshire Yeomanry (QORR) - Queen's Own Royal Regiment. That Queen was Victoria, so her crown was retained.

• 10 years later...
On 31/12/2013 at 11:43, matt185 said:

Hi

I've recently unearthed a few photos of my Grandfather who served with the Staffordshire Yeomanry but we have no information whatsoever about what he did during the Great War. He refused to speak about it when he was alive and the photos I have don't seem to tally up with the shreds of information I can find. His Roll Card Record says N Staffs but his cap badge is clearly Staffs Yeomanry. Again one photo says C Company but I can find no record of that. All I can find is that the 2/1st Staffs Yeo ended up in Canterbury but don't appear to have seen any active service??? Although he was from York he moved to Canterbury during WWII but we never knew why. Perhaps he had memories of being stationed there.

Any light anybody could shed on these photos would be greatly appreciated. I have others too.

Many thanks

Regards

Matt Tindall

post-105179-0-89816800-1388489834_thumb.

post-105179-0-95666200-1388489860_thumb.

post-105179-0-52036300-1388489920_thumb.

post-105179-0-27748500-1388489983_thumb.

Hello, I'm researching my great grandfather Sgt George Edgar Proudlove, 2179 & 300009 & 538950 - C Sqn, 1/1st Staffordshire Light Yeomanry. He enlisted in 1907 and served in Egypt between: 10/11/1915 - 25/02/1919.

Although, I have his service records, I'm endevering to find find as many photo's from that time period as I can. We have no idea what he looked like, but I'm hoping if I gather a group of photo's my grandmother may notice her father on one of them.

Please could you tell me what time period your photos were taken? Any other information or photo's that you may hold from that time period would be very much appreciated. 

Edited by LCpl Lee Cope