The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

New 2014 book on the Curragh "Mutiny of 1914

wig

I hope the book is more balanced than the review.

Oh, I also hope the book gets Gough's name right. "Power"? Dear, dear.

A good guy is Paul O'Brien. It will be well researched. I'll be keeping an eye open for the release.

Yes good point. Hope so.

My Apologies. Just read this "review??". Terrible rubbish! Hope the book reaches above this sh*te!!

haven't been disappointed by the other books in the series. Expect the same standard. Also hope to do the Mount St Bridge tour in 2014.

Seriously, I would be interested to know what the book is like, rather than reading the review posted. It's a fascinating subject (and of great interest to anyone interested in cavalry in the Great War), so a good, balanced coverage of the subject would be welcome.

Sadly the review posted is putting me off!

sometimes the negative prompts me e.g. John Dorney wrote such a poor blog article re the North King St killings in Dublin that I want to get a copy of his Easter Rising book just to see what other tosh he has to say.

Seriously, I would be interested to know what the book is like, rather than reading the review posted. It's a fascinating subject (and of great interest to anyone interested in cavalry in the Great War), so a good, balanced coverage of the subject would be welcome.

Sadly the review posted is putting me off!

Yes, the sound of an axe being pretty relentlessly ground didn't do it for me either!

David

I am sure nothing was ever said in so many words, at least publicly, but i read somewhere (I know, the great cop out - presumably it must be in released papers by now) that the Wilson cabinet was exercised by how the army/forces would react if it had been ordered to put down Ian Smith's Unknightly (as one pupil explained the initials) Declaration of Independence in Rhodesia.

As others have said, I look forward to a review from a member of the forum.

I was informed in confidence - "of record old chap" that things in regard to the army and Rhodesia went far further. He claimed that he and fellow officers were 'straw polled' for their views on British intervention. His regt apparently said, 'Not on old chap'. But I have never received confirmation that it was true.

Yes, the sound of an axe being pretty relentlessly ground didn't do it for me either!

David

The fact that the review is so poorly written doesn't help. Thankfully Paul O'Brien doesn't approach things with any kind of 'political axe'. I did a bit of work for him on one of his earlier books on the Easter Rising, where the Sherwood Foresters played a prominent part, and his approach impressed me very much. Please don't let this one review put you off.

Andrew

I for one won't be. It's a topic I know very little about beyond its end and the famous Churchill quote about how ‘. . . The parishes of Fermanagh and Tyrone faded back into the mists and squalls of Ireland, and a strange light began immediately . . . to fall and grow upon the map of Europe'

So an account by a well respected author is just what I need

David

Please don't let this one review put you off.

Thanks. I won't.