The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte Albert Checkley Central Ontario Regt

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

One no doubt for Terry!!

A friend of mine is the great-grandson of the above soldier, he is Canadian himself being a Vancouver man. I have downloaded part of his record form the on-line system but would welcome any more information, particularly on the Regiment.

Many thanks,

Ian

Sorry full details are:

27057 Pte Albert CHECKLEY 15th Bn Canadian Infantry (Central Ontario Regt)

Killed in Action 24 Apr 1915.

Remembered on the Menin Gate.

Hello!

I looked at Pte. Checkley's attestation and saw that he had belonged to the 48th Highlanders of Toronto prior to the war - a local militia regiment. The 48th became the 15th battalion CEF. I'm attaching an article & casualty list that appeared in the Toronto Star on June 18th, 1915 (p. 5). The article was entitled "Long List Missing Men from 15th Battalion". Checkley's name is included on the list (near the bottom of this clipping).

A museum dedicated to the 48th Highlanders is located in Toronto on King Street. I've placed a slide show of photographs from this museum on my web site (see my profile for the link to the site). The museum is quite interesting and has a large quantity of WWI artifacts. It is run by volunteers.

I'm going through June 1915 newspapers at the moment, and will look out for any further information on Pte. Checkley.

Marika

post-1-1096575566.jpg

The 15th Bn took a pounding at 2nd Ypres, losing I think 691 men. They were one of the hardest hit units. Dancocks' book "Welcome To Flanders Fields" gives a great overview of the battle.

The Toronto newspapers, (15th home city) dedicated an absolute ton of articles, photo's and details of this regiment after Ypres (April 1915). The pages of the Toronto Star are literally wallpapered with photo's of these men.

I have the medals to a Lieut. in the 15th who fell on April 24, 1915. I have never in all my years of researching ever uncovered more newspaper articles on one man, then I did here!

I am certain that your man will be an easy find, provided you can find the Toronto Star.

(I will not be near my local archives for some time, but will give your man a go when I am able.)