The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Researching Dog Tags

priv

Pals,

I have been researching a pair of dog tags I have had for a few years, now that the online MIC's have ot a little further down the alphabet !

Surname is SAMME

Number is 22823

Regiment Queens (Royal West Surrey)

The online MIC shows that he had a change of number (whilst remaining with the regiment) to TR/159426

Can anyone explain why the number would have changed like this - would the tags have been replaced or should they have been replaced as a result ? I remember an earlier thread on the prefix's, but i cn't for the life of me find it.

Many thanks in advance

James

I have absolutly no Idea James. But to start the guessing ball rolling (that always brings out the people that really know just to correct you :P )

Might TR stand for Teritorial Reserve? He had left active service and this was his new number.

He may have just been given a very different role that necesitated a number change?

L.

Sorry for being absolutely no help whatsoever.

I can't say I've come across "TR" before... so unfortunately I'm with you Leigh :ph34r:

One of the enlightened ones must know......... anyone?

Les.

The online MIC shows that he had a change of number (whilst remaining with the regiment) to TR/159426

Can anyone explain why the number would have changed like this - would the tags have been replaced or should they have been replaced as a result ? I remember an earlier thread on the prefix's, but i cn't for the life of me find it.

James: It could mean "Training Reserve" Battalion

TR is a standard prefix for Training Reserve.

Do you know if the TR number was the first number he had?

When the Training Reserve was formed in Sept 1916 it was standard for a soldier to be assigned a TR number when he joined. He would have been renumber automatically when he joined another regiment.

If he was already in the Royal West Surry's he may have been in either the 9th ® Batt. which was absorbed into the TR battalions of the 5th TR Bde. at Shoreham in Sept 1916 or the 12th ® Batt. which became 97rd TR Battalion of the 23rd Training Reserve Bde at Aldershot. In these cases he would have been renumbered also.

If you have his tags I would say he originally had the TR number and was renumbered when posted to the Queens.

Joe Sweeney

See Priv, you come up with a bad guess and they come from the woodwork :P

And Army Officer, where is my scan of that Porritt commision paper?? :D

Regards

Leigh

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for your comments.

The TR number was listed as second on the MIC. I also have a the MIC to a man who was in the Wilts then the Hamps R (TR), as the second regiment ? Me thinks there will be a lot more to do on these ones !