The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Boy Colonel

Robert Dunlop

By Will Davies. This book is about Lt Col Marks, who saw service throughout the Australian involvement in the war. He became the youngest battalion commander in the AIF. There is more background information here.

The book is well written. It covers the Gallipoli campaign and various actions on the Western Front. There is a lot of material drawn from the official history and war diaries. I was hoping for a lot more personal insights into how an adjutant and then commander operated, given that the author had access to Marks' diaries. Sadly, this type of information was very thin on the ground. Just a few glimpses.

Robert

Well I enjoyed Somme Mud and Beneath Hill 60 so I'll give this a go. Thank you Robert

You can read an excerpt online - I've just read the first 44 pages which covers recruitment, the convoy, Egypt and the first 10 days on Gallipoli. First impressions are that it is well written, in the style of "Somme Mud". Looks well worth buying.

Concur with the above comments. Have just finished the book (xmas prezzie) and apart from a couple of minor mistakes i.e. MC for MM to a private and a DSO instead of DCM to a non-com I thought the book was a great read.

Tragic ending to his life.