The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

155th siege battery

leigh

Hi,

A side line of my research has led me to the 155th Siege battery. RGA

Does anyone have any info on them or diaries?

Some names I have are

Sgt Oxborough

Bm Lingwood

2Lt White

Maj Montague

Cpt Dyke

Cpl Coulthard

I am going to have a dig at my next NA visit but anything else is useful (dont worry about looking through MIC's though I have done some of that).

Many regards

Leigh

Hi Leigh,

Is Heavy Battery the same as Siege Battery?

If so, I am researching Gunner T B HARDING

93067, 155th Heavy Bty., Royal Garrison Artillery

who died on 16 October 1917

DOZINGHEM MILITARY CEMETERY grave IX. I. 23.

and his relative is going to look at their War Diary in the next few days.

Kate,

I am sure the siege and heavy batteries were two different outfits. I am sure that Mr Flory will set us straight though should he read this.

Leigh

Leigh

According to the Order of Battle 11 November 1918, 155 Siege Battery was part of 36 Australian Brigade, Royal Garrison Artillery, 2nd Army.

SEAN

Leigh wrote:

155th Siege battery. RGA Does anyone have any info on them or diaries?

155 Siege Battery, RGA went to the Western Front on 29th Aug 1916 armed with four 6" Howitzers (26cwt), and joined 32nd Heavy Artillery Group (HAG) on 3 Sept 16. It transferred to 5th HAG on 5 Oct 16; to 52nd HAG on 1 Nov 16; to 71st HAG on 24 Nov 16; back to 52nd HAG on 6 Jan 17; and to 69th HAG on 25 Mar 17. The Battery was assigned to Second Army Artillery School from 13 Apr 17 to 29 May 17; it transferred to 53rd HAG on 30 May 17; and to 41st HAG on 8 Jun 17. On 3 Jan 18 it joined 36th Brigade, RGA and served with it for the remainder of the war. The Battery was made up to six guns on 3 Jan 18. The War Diary for the Battery for the period Feb 1917 to Apr 1918 can be found at the National Archives at WO95/318. The war diaries for the periods previous to and subsequent to that period have not been traced.

The 2Lt White you refer to is probably 2 Lieut. W. White, RGA who served with the 155th Siege Battery until Sept 1917 when he transferred to 154th Siege Battery, RGA. In Jun 1918 he was posted to the Base Depot at Harfleur.

The Major Montague you list is Major Philip James Arthur Motague who was born in 1890 and was educated at Tonbridge School. He was commissioned as a 2nd Lieut., RGA in 1910. From 12 Jun 16 until the end of the war he served as Officer Commanding, 155th Siege Battery, RGA and was awarded the Military Cross in the London Gazette of 16 Sep 18 and the French Croix de Guerre in the London Gazette of 29 Nov 18. He was promoted to Colonel in 1938 and died in 1940.

Regards. Dick Flory

• 4 months later...

Dick,

Long overdue but just found this thread again.

Thanks muchly for the Info.

Many regards

Leigh