The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Abbreviations

Michael Pegum

Can anyone help with explaining abbreviations of units found on a Great War Roll of Honour? They are:

L.C.

R. East Kent M. Rifles

Motor Amn.Col.

A. Transport

The last three look obvious, but they don't appear on the list at www.regiments.org. The second may be the Buffs, of course, but "Mounted(?) Rifles"?

Michael Pegum

The Royal East Kent Mounted Rifles were not the Buffs, but instead a Yeomanry Regt. They served at Gallopoli and provided two sub-units for a composite regt with the Queens Own West Kent Yeo. Used to defend the Suez Canal and as dismounted infantry, served in the Palestine campaign. Redesignated the 10th Bn, Buffs, they were in France the last six months of the war.

DrB

:)

Thanks very much for this useful information.

Michael Pegum

provided two sub-units for a composite regt with the Queens Own West Kent Yeo

What are the details of this unit ? You're not confusing it with the Kent Composite Battalion are you ? This unit was partly composed of Buffs territorials

Mick

Another puzzle: an Irishman who enlisted in Ireland, who was probably in his 30s at the beginning of the war, and survived, is listed as serving in

"S. and I. Cd."

Any idea what this was? Michael Pegum

Scottish and Irish Command. I think.

Des

Old newspapers here refer to 'Scottish Command Depot' and 'Irish Command Depot'. Maybe he was on depot staff and served with both? Interestingly, a lot of wounded Jocks seem to be on recuperation/re-training at what is commonly termed a 'Scottish Command Depot' at Randalstown, Co. Antrim.

Can't get my head around that one ..

Edited by Desmond7

I am sorry that I cannot give you the details of this unit of the merged East Kent and West Kent Yeos. I was quoting from a book on Yeomanry by P.J.R. Mileham and he didn't go into details about the merged unit.