The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Is that all it's worth?

Skipman

ziffit.com offers cash for books, DVD's and CD's. I'm not selling these, obviously, but here is a random selection :whistle: of prices offered.

Hart, Peter - 1918: A Very British Victory (hardback) £0.87

Peter Hart - Gallipoli (hardback) £1.66

Peter Hart - The Great War: 1914-1918 (hardback) £3.45

Hammond, Bryn - Cambrai 1917 (paperback) £0.38

Baker, Chris - The Battle for Flanders: German Defeat on the Lys 1918 (hardback) £3.03

Brig-Gen Sir JE Edmonds. - Official History of The Great War 1914-18. France and Belgium. DVD-Rom. £3.00 (It only cost me £225.00)

Nicholls, Jonathan - Cheerful Sacrifice (paperback) £1.05

Macdonald, Lyn - 1914 : The Days of Hope (paperback) £0.15

Of course the value of the book increases substantially if signed. :devilgrin:

Mike

Mike

Out of interest I put in the most prized book in my collection, my first edition of Richard Holmes' 'Tommy'. Offer - 10p

I then tried 'There's a devil in the drum' which would earn me 90p.

I then stopped before I started crying at the injustice of it all!

David

Perhaps they just recycle them: at those prices they would probably make enough margin as wood pulp!

They may assume that goods being sold to them will be in poor physical condition, as people would otherwise go to a second hand shop, and price accordingly.

Mike

I applied, what I am now calling, "The Tommy Test" to this website only to be told that they couldn't give me anything for it!

I'm presuming you are now going in search of a website where you have to pay them for the privilege!

David

They may assume that goods being sold to them will be in poor physical condition, as people would otherwise go to a second hand shop, and price accordingly.

I expect when they receive a pristine copy, they will send more cash to you? :whistle:

Mike

Amazon offer a trade in that might be useful?

Mike

Nope. Amazon also fail The Tommy Test with an offer of 25p

David

I'm presuming you are now going in search of a website where you have to pay them for the privilege!

David

I'm just about to set up such a website. Please send me all your books, just so I can get established. :thumbsup:

Mike

I'm just about to set up such a website. Please send me all your books, just so I can get established. :thumbsup:

Mike

Brilliant! I had a tough day at school today and needed a good laugh. You just provided it :w00t:

David

Brilliant! I had a tough day at school today and needed a good laugh. You just provided it

David

You're still at school, what class are you in?

Seriously, I suppose it would be a last resort sending books to these places, but marginally better than sending to recycling for nothing. The postage is free at least, though they probably take that off the price? :whistle:

Mike

You're still at school, what class are you in?

'Remedial' after today!

Computer driven book trade in prices are crazy. I sell a few books myself on Amazon, and have on rare occasions had good prices by trading items in. For other titles, there is no point and I support my locasl hospice shop with items that won't bring me a worthwhile return. The offers on Amazon seem to have two drivers; one is the current price going on that site, the other some other factor relating to the desirability or availability of that title that I have never fathomed. My best was £29 credit on Amazon for an item bought in a local second hand bookshop at £4. The best used offer at the time was about £56, but I was more than happy with the more modest figure.

Keith

How does the postage work when sending the books, surely it would cost more in postage than you would be getting back.

Best to sell the books yourself on an online auction site with a fixed reserve. That way if they don't sell you can keep re-listing them at no additional cost. I usually sell my surplus to a well known Military book dealer - the rarer stuff that is.

How does the postage work when sending the books, surely it would cost more in postage than you would be getting back.

With Amazon, you print off a pre-paid postage label funded by their contractor. You can specify also that if they are not satisfied with the book they should return it - again at their expense. Payment however is not cash, but Amazon credit.

Keith

I see that my book is worth almost four times one of Mr Hart's. I have taken notes and may use them in conversations with him. :w00t:

His are ALL signed. :hypocrite:

Keith

I'm not certain but I think they collect, at any rate, it's free.

Don't think I'll be bothering though.

Mike

Mike

Rorke's Drift 1879 by Osprey who as we all know are NOT cheap (£14.99) offer = 76p :w00t: on yer bike.Rather keep the fire in with it.