The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Canadian 49th Battalion

Guest Joanne_Elford

Guest Joanne_Elford

Hello,

I am looking for information on my gr-great-uncle Ernest Dingwall SMITH. He died October 28, 1917 and is buried in Nine Elms British Cemetery, Belgium (V11. E. 6). He was part of the 49th Battalion of the Canadian Infantry. Would anybody have any idea of where he would have died? What battle he would have been taking part of?

I have a picture of his tombstone, but am hoping to have some details to go along with it.

Any information appreciated.

Thank you.

Joanne

Hi Joanne,

Your relative died at Passchendaele, one of the truly awful battles of the Great War. The 49th went into battle with 21 officers and 567 other ranks; they came out with five officers and 140 OR's. Casualty rate 76%.

Dig into details of the fighting at Passchendaele and you will come to appreciate what he went through.

Joanne,

I should also mention that I have the medals of Private Albert Taylor, also of the 49th Battalion, who died in this same battle.

Joanne, you may already have looked these upp, but you can see your great-great uncles attestation papers on line here.

marc

Guest Joanne_Elford

Thank you all for your advice. It looks like I have a lot of reading to do, but I'm sure I'll be able to find all that I'm looking for now.

Joanne :D