The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Doctors in The Great War - Ian R Whitehead

Paul Nixon

Originally published by Leo Cooper in 1999

Now re-published by Pen & Sword at £14.99

Authoratitive work which benefits from useful appendices, extensive notes, a solid bibliography and a basic index. Purists would still want the first edition hardback but this is a good alternative and a useful resource for the WW1 bookshelf.

I agree with Charles. It is very good indeed. I learned a lot from it, especially regarding the conflicting needs of military and civilian medical care.

Regards,

Alf McM

When I was a bookseller I could NOT sell this book no matter how much I reduced the price. I only had one copy in stock and I still have it!

Tom

When I was a bookseller I could NOT sell this book no matter how much I reduced the price. I only had one copy in stock and I still have it!

Tom

That does surprise me, when I sold my copy on Amazon about five years ago copies were quite scarce and pricey, I managed to get £55 for mine and

that was after Amazon took their fee out.

BM - I even put it on eBay with a 99p start price and it got no bids. I have no idea why as it's a great book. It's just one of those inexplicable things :huh:

Tom

Not a book I had heard of, but the uniformly good reviews above will see it on to the long, long, list

David

A very good book and consulted only a few days ago to answer an obscure question on this forum.