The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sergeant Thomas Allan - Royal Fusiliers

nilved

Sergeant Thomas Allan, 7th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers, Reg. No. 72840. b 15/2/1889, d 6/4/1918. Arras Memorial, Pas de Calais, France, Bay 3.

Also served as Sergeant in the Army Service Corps, Reg. No. T1/3470.

Why would he chaged regiments and which action was he most likely killed in?

Thomas had an elder brother William Allan, b 15/8/1885, d 8/7/1916 in Berwick-upon-Tweed. So far, I have no record of War Service. Is it possible he did serve and died after getting home? How would I find out? Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Jim Devlin.

Hi Jim

Im not a Fusulier expert, but April 1918 and the location suggests the Operation Michael battle(s) that raged from 21 March to mid/end (?) April. No grave suggests he fell in action rather than died in the Casualty system, as did many during that particular battle.

Cant help with the Army Service Corp mate, as Ive never looked into them myself and the impression I get of them may be wrong (hence misleading!) - sorry. The transfer between the 2 usually suggests a wound or similar that made him unfit for an active service Battalion in some way, but I may be wrong.

When you say no war record, have you tried the usual places; PRO etc?

Sorry I cant help more, but I would expect someone else on forum can provide more detail than me.

Cheers and good luck

Steve :D