The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Hussars

Digger

The war memorial in Bassingham, Lincolnshire listed all from the village who served in WW1, my grandfather in the Coldstream Guards and his brother in the Hussars. I have the military papers from the Guards, but don't know where to start to look for the Hussars. Both survived the war, but I have no trace of Bill apart from the mention on the memorial. Can anyone help me?

Thanks for the idea Ed, but unfortunately not my man. That William Graves was kia in 1916. Bill Graves was actually his given name, he left school in 1897, and dropped out of sight apart from the mention on the memorial. He doesn't even show on the 1901 census, so I am wondering if he joined up like his older brother and possibly his half brother had. Is there anywhere I would be able to find out if he (and his half brother Joseph Norton who was in the Lincolnshire Regiment) were regular soldiers?

Hello Digger

Sorry about that - I should have checked SDGW or CWGC to confirm whether that particular William Graves had survived or not. What information do you have on Joseph Norton? There is a medal card index for a Pte. 3709 Joseph E Norton, Lincolnshire Regt. - is this your man?

Rgds

Ed

Hi Ed,

I have Joseph Nortons medal card - he was Private 569829 (death certificate - or 569828 as the CWGC has it) and then 3/7820 in the Labour Corps. He is buried in Liverpool, sharing a gravestone with an E. Morgan of the South Wales Borderers.

Janet

Janet

He doesn't even show on the 1901 census

Have you discounted this man in the 1901 census?

Born in the right place, about the right age and working with horses? Always useful if you're going to end up in the Hussars.

1891 census has him listed, as you suggest, as Bill (although his father gave the census details as head of household so may have used a 'pet' name) whereas in 1901 his employer would have given the details and as such called him William?

Just a thought and hope it helps.

Steve

Janet

Should have said this William Graves was a servant in the household of Henry Yates in Carlton le Moorland, Lincolnshire.

Steve

Steve,

I think you may be right, Carleton le Moorland is very close to Bassingham. I think I have been blinded by the fact that Bill was his given name - I just hadn't considered that it could have been lengthened. Thank you.