The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help with identifying ww1 uniform please

pride of our alley

I have a mystery WW1 soldier photograph which has been handed down to me through the family....As is often the case when first starting out family research, I have no real idea who this lovely lad was and what uniform and cap badge he is wearing....The photograph belonged to my Great Grandmother who had five brothers...All five served in the First World War...Three in the Loyal North Lancs, one in the Royal Marines and one in the RGA....All five came home....Any information would be truly appreciated..Thankyou..Bee..post-105609-0-19724200-1389549031_thumb.post-105609-0-45782100-1389549065_thumb.

Welcome to the forum. Much more knowledgable folk than me will be able to help you more, but this looks like your RGA chap. Is that a signature bottom right?

David

Cap badge doesn't look like LNL, RGA or RM. Might be a post war photograph with the lanyard being worn on the right.

I'm not convinced that the badge is artillery, looks more circular - The Queen's Bays (2nd Dragoon Guards) springs to mind.

Steve.

Given that he's obviosuly mounted, and looking at the badge, and much though I hate to agree with a Posh fan ... Bays was my first thought, too.

Welcome Bee,

If you can post a larger scan of his head and shoulders we may have more luck.

Rgds

Tim D

Thankyou to everyone for being generous with your time and attention...I will try to post some close up shots of his head and shoulders....The handwritten script on the bottom right of the photo just says Corporal Truswell...I am curious as to why a lanyard would have been worn on the right hand side post war?!!...If this is post war it may explain the "naive" and "clean" look to this young man and his uniform....If he does turn out to be a corporal in the Queen's Bays after WW1, is it possible to trace any records of him?!!!..Thankyou again...Bee..X....PS...I am new to this site and this is my first post, so please bare with me if I post messages in the wrong place or struggle to upload pix!!!!.

As requested, a closer shot of his head and shoulders..thankyou once again..Bee..x...PS...I may have replied to my original messages in the wrong place..Please excuse me as I am new to the site and have never used a forum before!!...I am intrigued by the idea that he may have been in the Queen's Bays and that this was post WW1...I hope that I will be able to chase Dragoon Guards records after WW1...If he isn't one of the five brothers from Lancashire, then he must have been a member of the Peterborough branch of the family...The writing on the bottom right just says Corporal Truswell...Can anyone suggest any interesting reading about the Bays?.....And how did a young man become a corporal in that regiment?...Kind Regards to all..Bee..x

post-105609-0-54567800-1389560903_thumb.

post-105609-0-51572700-1389560956_thumb.

I'm not convinced that the badge is artillery, looks more circular - The Queen's Bays (2nd Dragoon Guards) springs to mind.

Steve.

Hi Steve..thankyou for having a look...I notice that you are from Cambridgeshire...My Truswell family are originally from Peterborough...The reason that I am connected to them via Preston, Lancs is that Pte T A Truswell, (my Great-Great,) Grandad was in the Nottinghamshire regiment in the 1880s and must have been sent to Fulwood barracks at some stage..I am just at the beginning of researching my family history on every side!!! and have just recently found out about him...regarding my Truswell in the photo, do you have any idea how he would have "joined" the Bays by way of Peterborough?....Thanks and best wishes..Bee.

Enlistments into the cavalry were not "regional" - there were no territorial affiliations, so he'd have signed on to a Corps of Dragoons, covering the Dragoon Guard and Dragoon regiments.

Badge is definitely Bays, by the way, looking at the enlargement.

I agree Bee.....definitely Queens Bays.....also known as 2nd Dragoon Guards. If you are looking for a Medal Index Card on Ancestry it may be recorded under either of these...or just Dragoons or Corps of Dragoons.

Rgds

Tim

Cap badge doesn't look like LNL, RGA or RM. Might be a post war photograph with the lanyard being worn on the right.

Thanks for the reply...Why are Lanyards on the right post war??...kind regards..Bee..x

I believe the army moved the lanyard from left to right shoulder in the late 1920s. I am told it was because the bandolier was also on the left and they got in each others way, but I know little about uniform regulations so that may be a load of old tosh! The combination of uniform and lanyard/bandolier would have been about during most of the 1930s. You would need a proper uniform expert to tell you in exact terms.

The chap looks quite young so, if the picture is in the late 1920s, he may have been born from 1910 onwards, perhaps?

I have to say that the photograph "feels" more 1910s and 1920s than 1930s, though.

And yes, I am in Peterborough.

Steve.

I believe the army moved the lanyard from left to right shoulder in the late 1920s. I am told it was because the bandolier was also on the left and they got in each others way, but I know little about uniform regulations so that may be a load of old tosh! The combination of uniform and lanyard/bandolier would have been about during most of the 1930s. You would need a proper uniform expert to tell you in exact terms.

The chap looks quite young so, if the picture is in the late 1920s, he may have been born from 1910 onwards, perhaps?

I have to say that the photograph "feels" more 1910s and 1920s than 1930s, though.

And yes, I am in Peterborough.

Steve.

Thanks once again Steve...I have been looking at The Bays cap badge and it really does look as if it is that...The photograph, (which is a real photo postcard,) does look 1910s etc, I identified it on a website by its stamp box 1913-1929!!!...There was one Truswell born in 1907 who is stated as being a grandson in my Great-Great Grandads household...He doesnt seem to belong to any family member, so maybe you are right and it is from the 1920s....As an aside, I understand from my family history that my Truswells from Peterborough where military tailors, and my Great Grandma was born at Aldershot barracks and another sibling at Billericay...After checking birth and census records on ancestry this would appear to be true...It seems I have taken the lid off a large family involvement in all things military!!!....On with the search...best wishes..Bee..x

Looks a 1902 type cap and the correct double collar pleat for a wartime Service Dress Jacket. I have a picture of my grandfather and great uncle together. My grandfather. Second Life Guards, has a white lanyard on his right shoulder. His brother, London Scottish, has a coloured/khaki lanyard on his left shoulder. My grandfather enlisted in 1918 and I think finished his service 1921. Can anyone confirm if cavalry held on to 1902 pattern stiff caps longer than most troops? Regards, Paul.