The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tyneside Irish Officer

toto123

I have just published my grandfather's memoirs. Only 15 copies. Anyone interested in an Officers account of the start of the war and formation of the Tyneside Irish and his experiences at the front would hopefully find this interesting. I am biased, but to me it's priceless.Two months ago i visited Gravelle (Arras sector of the front) with my French wife. We went to locate the exact spot he was shot in April 1917 armed with a trench map and Google Earth map. We located it. Very moving.

It was a surreal day as when we arrived back to Lille and sat with my wife's parents, her mother passed away suddenly in front of us.

I am uncertain if I can post a link and if not it will disappear but the book is here: www.topazbooks.co.uk

'Ours is not to Reason Why' by JC Arnold

Hi,

I think you will find almost all of Jack Arnolds memoirs quoted in "Tyneside Irish", I was in contact with several relatives who kindly

loaned me and allowed me to use his memoirs along with a couple of photo's.

His recollections of Court Martials was particularly moving.

I hope it does well for you.

regards

John

Hi John

Yes he was my grandfather and you sent me the trench map.

I have set up small publishing enterprise and thought it would make a meaningful start. Hugh, one of his son's died approx 2 weeks ago and his obituary was in The Telegraph last week.

His memoirs are approx 50 pages and perhaps about 3 pages are in the Tyneside Irish book I believe.

Yes, he saved at least one man from being put in front of a firing squad

Best regards,

Tony